Craftsman LT1000 won't start

Old 10-12-08, 08:10 PM
Question Craftsman LT1000 won't start

Hi Everybody, I am new to post here but have been lurking and learning. I have a LT1000 Model 917.271842 with a 21.0hp twin B&S I/C engine model#461707. My problem is the mower will not start. It makes no noise at all, nothing, no clicking just dead. I load tested my battery and it reads fine. I fully charged it also. For the past year or so it starts hard,makes a couple turn of the starter then stops and then catches and finally starts. Yesterday after cutting all day I shut it of to blow the dust off and it would not start again. I have taken apart and cleaned all connections. I have 12+ volts to one of the red wires and the black wires on the solenoid, not to the other red or the white wires at anytime while turning key. I used a new car battery and jumped direct from the possitive to the starter and it turns over but still its kind of hard (turns then stops, turns and stops) I removed the 2 spark plugs and the starter turns over easier (pretty much like normal). I then jumped with a screw driver across the 2 large bolts on the solenoid and it turns over also. I then put the spark plugs back in and jumped the starter again and it turned hard again. Do I have 2 problems? It seemd like all the safty switchs are working but how can I check? The solenoid? Do the valves need adjustment on this engine? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks GI2

Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-08, 08:22 PM
The model engine you have most likely does not require any valve adjustments. You may have a problem with the starter motor if it's dragging or spinning slowly. I would check all the cables and connectors to make sure they are in good condition, are all clean and tight and that the ground to the frame and engine are also good.

The starting problem can be in the starter solenoid or in one of the safety interlock switches. There are 2 interlock switches that are operated by the clutch pedal and blade engagement levers. These switches operate on both the ground circuit and power activating circuit to the solenoid. Find the wire coming out of your starter switch that attaches to the the terminal marked with an "S" and test it for power when the key is in the start position. If you get no power, check for a bad fuse and for power coming into the switch.

If you have power coming from the switch when the key is in the start position, then trace this wire through each switch, test for power in and out of each switch, until you arrive at the solenoid (this should be the white wire) if you have power to the solenoid at the with wire with the key in the start position and the clutch pedal depressed and blades disengaged, then you will need to test the the ground circuit going to the solenoid from each safety switch and make sure you are getting a complete circuit to the tractors chassis.

Old 10-14-08, 05:35 AM
follow up

Good Morning everyone, I finally found part of the problem, I had a broken hot wire that was making contact part of the time and part of the time not. When I would move the wires to test it would make contact giving me a possitive reading and then all of a sudden it would quit. Well I fixed that and now it will at least crank over. I also tore that engine half apart and can not find anywhere to adjust valves. I do now think this engine does not require a valve adjustment. I think maybe my battery is bad as it smells of battery acid when cranking and even though I load tested it it seems half dead. I am going to get a new battery today. Any more ideas of weather this doesn't need a valve adjustment? Thanks so much for your help, Sincerely Connie

Old 10-14-08, 06:49 AM
This is an "L" head engine and does not have adjustable valves. That's not to say the valves cannot be adjusted, it's just a little more complicated then it is on an OHV type setup. The valves on this engine will not require adjustments that will affect the starter (i.e. too much compression), the lash on these type engines typically gets smaller and when adjustment is needed, it's due to a loss of compression. This is not the issue in your case.

If after you replace your battery, if the engine is still slow to spin with the starter, I would look at the starter as the possible source of your problem.