Pressure Washer has no pressure

Old 10-12-08, 10:37 PM
Pressure Washer has no pressure

Ok, I get it to run and all, and whenever I pull the trigger on the gun, low pressure water comes out, and it leaks water out of these two holes on both sides of the pump.
The pump has numbers 1460010 on the side.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-08, 05:52 AM
How old is that thing? Never seen a pump quite like that. We'll run through a few things.

Are you sure you tried the machine with a high pressure setting on the wand (proper nozzle, proper setting on a high/low nozzle if you have that, etc.)?

Does it have an unloader on the pump? If so, it could be sticking......

I highly recommend people use a product like Pump Saver. It not only winterizes the pump, but also has lubricants to keep the seals fresh and plungers from sticking..... This is especially true if your water source has alot of minerals (limestone, iron, etc.) Most people use things like this only for storage, but I use it after every use to guard against mineral buildup.

Awhile back I had an issue with an older Karcher machine that I had about 8 years. I always took good care of it, but didn't know anything like Pump Saver existed. When I would try using high pressure it'd stick so to speak. It'd be low pressure for a bit and then the high pressure would kick in. I started using the Pump Saver after each use and it helped to loosen things a bit in the pump and actually started working better, like new. Later!

Old 10-13-08, 10:01 AM
I think it is pretty old. And I am pretty sure the only thing that has gone through it is well water so that is really high in minerals.

I am good with engines, but have never rebuilt a pump.
Is it hard?
Is it worth it?
Would I be better off utilizing the engine, and just buying a new pump?
If so, will most any horizontal shaft pump worth with it?

Thanks in advance,
-Critter

Old 10-13-08, 10:12 AM
You could try tearing the pump down and see what's in it. You might not be able to find a rebuild kit for it though.

If the engine is in good shape you should be able to find a good pump for it. You have to look at the HP rating, shaft size and bolt pattern and go from there. The pump you have looks like an early model axial cam pump. Contrary to what some people think there are some really good axial cam pumps out there. AR makes an outstanding heavy duty axial cam pump that goes by name of SJV. I know because I own one and it rocks. And it's rated for about 800 hours and is rebuildable.

Yeah the well water can wreak havoc, especially limestone and iron deposits. My pump allowed me to remove the garden hose connection and I replaced that with an aftermarket filter that has a large screen in it that can be removed/cleaned. Then I simply screw the garden hose onto the filter housing. Some axial cam designs don't allow this and those cheesy screen gaskets that come in most units just don't give enough protection.

Anyway in the future I'd recommend using Pump Saver, especially with well water. You can find it at any Lowe's, Home Depot, Sears, etc. Later!

Old 10-15-08, 04:07 PM
Well I took the pump apart today, partially, I couldn't get the end piece undone where the water goes in/out and it is leaking from. I figured out though that if I let it sit for 5 seconds with trigger released, it will build pressure. But as soon as I pull the trigger, it has higher pressure for a split second, then it just kinda burbles out the end at a low pressure. As soon as I release the trigger, you can feel it build pressure again.

Old 10-16-08, 05:06 AM
Sounds like the unloader may be sticking (if that pump has one and it should). That's the part of the pump that controls the pressure output. What year did you buy that thing?

Tell you what... awhile back I found a great site that has a ton of info on pressure washers. Go to www.the-power-washer-advisor.com. There you should be able to find all the info you'll ever need for a pressure washer. Find the topic regarding the explanation of unloader valves and that should explain it all. Much better than I can describe here. Later!

Old 10-16-08, 05:14 AM
Also, when you get a chance go to your local Lowe's, Home Depot, Sears and get a can of Pump Saver and follow the directions. It not only winterizes the pump, but also lubricates all internal parts to help from sticking and premature wear. Then again, if that pump is really old it may benefit from a rebuild or replacement. Later!