Replacement Engine for Craftsman Log Splitter

Old 10-14-08, 07:01 AM
Replacement Engine for Craftsman Log Splitter

My splitter, model # 247.77466, has a blown engine, (Briggs and Stratton model # 123K02-0238). Big hole in side of block. I cannot find this engine, or a direct replacement listed anywhere. I’m told a currently produced 126T02-0018 will fit, but it’s expensive compared to “old stock” models that exist, but I cannot find references to. Anyone know what engines would fit? My blown engine is a vertical shaft, 6.5 hp with a 1 and 3/16” shaft. It mounts via 3 bolts. The starter rope faces the front, (spark plug), not to the rear like most lawn mowers. If I have to select something visually, should I be concerned with matching the mounting bolts or just plan to drill new holes in the log splitter frame? Is it possible to modify the pull starter so it pulls from the front and not the back? Anyone know of a supplier of used or old production B/S engines?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-08, 03:41 PM
The crankshaft on your engine is the kicker. It's not a standard size for say a lawnmower, because of this it's not likely to find a direct replacement engine at a deal. The starter on these engines are riveted to the engine shroud, they can be removed and reinstalled in pretty much any position, and you could always use the one off your old engine. It should bolt right up to any Quantum Briggs engine.

Old 10-15-08, 09:46 AM
Have you checked out the selection at some of the engine internet sites like www.smallenginewarehouse.com? Another is www.tulsaenginewarehouse.com. They offer a wide range of motors and reasonable pricing. Might also find one at Northern tool.

Old 10-16-08, 05:02 PM
Thanks, 30 Year Tech and Bontai Joe. Best prices I could find were on the websites named, but at near double the cost of other very similar engines with longer shafts. I was just hoping I wouldn't have to spend $300+ to fix it. Your responses are much appreciated.

Herb

Old 10-16-08, 05:14 PM
Well one way to do this, if your up to it is to purchase an engine such as this one.

http://www.smallenginesuppliers.com/...gines4307.html

Then get a crankshaft like the one in your engine Part # 691455

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/sea...=6&sa.y=11#144

Then swap out the crankshafts in the new engine, you could then use your old starter on the new engine or reposition the starter on the new engine. It's a little bit of work, but it would be under $300.00. If your old crankshaft is not damaged and you can polish the crank journal and reuse your shaft, then it would only be the cost of the new engine. You will also have to move the kill switch from the brake lever over to the throttle place, but it just snaps out and back in and the lead wire will reach the other position.

Keep in mind if you do this, there will be no warranty on the engine because of the changes you made to it.