briggs and stratton 23hp vanguard horizontal won't start

Old 10-14-08, 03:23 PM
briggs and stratton 23hp vanguard horizontal won't start

hi, i am very new to the forum but looking for some serious help. I just bought a brand new 23hp Briggs Vanguard horizontal shaft motor for my small inboard boat. I installed it and installed and ignition switch. wired everything up, and it fired up and ran for a while. Now when i start it, it just cranks and cranks with no sign of trying to kick over. I did hit the ignition wire coming out of the engine on the side of the engine and it sparked before all of this. Is there a fuse i could have blown somewhere on the motor? I called briggs and stratton hotline to find out it is having technical difficulties. Can anyone help? i would appreciate it

Bret

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-08, 05:45 PM
The ignition modules on these engines are self contained and need no power to operate. With that in mind, any power sent to the modules will cause them to fail (burn out), so if you touched a wire with voltage to the terminal coming out of the engine for the kill switch, then chances are that you destroyed your ignition modules.

You need to test for spark at each spark plug, and you might want to remove the kill switch lead wires to do this. If you have no spark, then the modules will need to be replaced.

Old 10-14-08, 07:04 PM
ok, i see that the ignition wire goes into something under the carb, is this the ignition module? if so, is this what i ask for when i go to the parts shoP? thanks

Brett

Old 10-14-08, 08:11 PM
The wire going to the carburetor would be for an after fire solenoid. This wire does require voltage, it has nothing to do with the ignition, but will keep the engine from starting and running if there is no power to the solenoid when the engine is cranking or running.

Have you tested for spark? No need to go an purchase any parts until you determine what the problem is. Test for spark first, if you have spark then the problem lies elsewhere. If the wire you were calling an ignition wire was the one going to the carburetor, then touching it with a power wire will not cause any damage. Power to the solenoid is required so fuel will flow through the carburetor.

Old 10-15-08, 04:31 PM
ok, here is what i know. I checked for plug fire and there is fire. The motor cranks and cranks and puffs out of the top of the carb every once in a while(have the air filter and all off). Other than that, it will not start. Any other ideas i may try? thanks

Brett

Old 10-15-08, 05:31 PM
Try applying 12 volts to the wire going to the carburetor, then try starting. If it starts this way, then you will need to find 12 volts from your switch when the key is in the on and start position to supply the solenoid on the carburetor.