Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Clearance for Generator

PA

10-15-08, 01:56 PM   #1  
Clearance for Generator

Am planning on purchasing a gas generator and am deciding on the best location. I've heard the stories and warnings of course about putting it indoors and under cover.

My question is, I'd like to place it in a location under my deck. The clearance is at least 7-8" vertically, with no obstructions whatsoever on 3 or 4 sides. Im thinking this is enough clearance to prevent any accidents?

Sponsored Links

10-15-08, 03:16 PM   #2  
Yeah I've read them as well and was gonna build a small shelter to keep it in, but decided to keep it in the garage and just wheel it out when needed.

I'm not sure about the vertical clearance. Does the area under your deck have plenty of circulation? Would the generator location be close to any doors, windows, crawlspace opening that would be open at all? Later!

TX

10-15-08, 03:17 PM   #3  
It is recommended that you have a minimum of 5 feet of clearance around all sides including the top. The side with the exhaust, should be left open.

PA

10-17-08, 05:54 AM   #4  
ok, thanks. I have no windows or doors that will be open near the proposed area. And I have more than 5' around as 3 sides of the deck are wide open. I'll just be sure to make 5' on the 4th side. the top is like 8' I think. thanks all!

Search this Thread