Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Rusted bolts

NH

10-15-08, 07:21 PM   #1  
Rusted bolts

Here we go again. I have to replace a rusted muffler on a snowblower. This is on a 1971 Ariens with an L-head. These mufflers mount directly, and tightly to the exhaust outlet. You can not see the end of the bolts where they bolt to the engine. The muffler is hiding them. Spraying penetrating oil on them is impossible. I am 95 percent sure they will break off when trying to loosen them. Any ideas on how to remove them without them breaking?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

10-16-08, 04:25 AM   #2  
If you can get a wrench on them you should be able to get a penetrating oil on them. You may need to tip the unit on an angle to get the spray to the bolts. The little straw like tube that comes with the oil can should help.

Once you get them turned a little, rocking the bolt backwards/forward and respraying with penetrating oil should help.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

MO

10-16-08, 08:32 AM   #3  
If the unit will run I would suggest letting it run until it warms up and then remove the bolts, if not use a torch to apply the heat, the heat will help in their removal. Have a good one. Geo

TX

10-16-08, 05:42 PM   #4  
Posted By: geogrubb If the unit will run I would suggest letting it run until it warms up and then remove the bolts, if not use a torch to apply the heat, the heat will help in their removal. Have a good one. Geo
This is how I do it as well, let it run a little bit and get warm and then give it a try, if they break, well then it looks like a drill and heli-coil.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-16-08, 08:58 PM   #5  
I agree. Let it get good and hot, they usually come out then. If not, try turning it clockwise, then counter clockwise, and back and forth with it hot and usually it will begin to give a little in one direction or the other. Then you can get it to go a little further each time. Spray penetrating oil at the spot where the muffler and engine meet and maybe some will creep in to the threads. If it breaks, drill and helicoil like 30year said, or install a muffler that uses pipe threads if the engine exhaust port is threaded.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread