Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Stihl SH85 stalls, or runs poorly when throttle applied.

10-16-08, 06:34 PM   #1  
Stihl SH85 stalls, or runs poorly when throttle applied.

I have a Stihl SH75 blower, has been pretty reliable up until about 3 weeks ago. I went to start it, it ran great for 2 or 3 minutes, then began running very rough, and stalled out, I could start it again rather easily, but would die out again rather quickly when the throttle was applied. I have changed fuel pickup, changed the air filter, sprayed inside the carburetor with gumout, adjust the carburetor(LD screw), blew out the gas tank vent, still no luck. It seems to start fine, but after the first 2-3 minutes it dies out, the only way I can get it to stay running is to have it nearly at full choke, but even then it still runs poorly, I can see the gas making it to the carburetor, but am not sure how much it should normally be getting. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Scott Gregg

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-16-08, 08:47 PM   #2  
I'd start by removing the spark arrestor screen and try running it. If it runs right, then clean the screen. If not, then you'll probably need to disassemble the carb and clean it.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

10-17-08, 06:13 PM   #3  
I really appreciate your help, it runs great without the spark arrestor, do I even need the spark arrestor?

Thanks
Scott Gregg

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-17-08, 10:24 PM   #4  
It doesn't need it to run, but think about those dry leaves and the possibility of a spark blowing into the pile and smoldering away undetected. I don't know that there is much chance of that happening and being a problem, but it it were me, I'd feel better with it on.

You can usually clean the screen with carb cleaner and a wire brush.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread