Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Kohler Command 17.5 problems!

10-17-08, 02:56 PM   #1  
Kohler Command 17.5 problems!

I am having a problem with the Kohler Command 17.5 on my John Deere L110 mower. My son was mowing the lawn the other day and it started to back fire and then quit running, so I pulled it into the garage and found that it seemed to be flooding itself out. So I went ahead and changed fuel filter,new plug, all the regular maintance and also bought a new float and carb kit at the local Deere dealer and cleaned out the carb (Walbro).I got everything together and its still doing the same thing. Now I am thinking that it acts like the timing is off. It is getting spark but I don't no if it is firing in the order it is suppose to. I pulled the valve cover and the rockers and springs and they look fine. I am now at a loss as to what to check. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
JD

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-17-08, 10:29 PM   #2  
Was the plug wet? Are the valves opening/closing like they should?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

10-18-08, 05:25 AM   #3  
Yes to both of your questions. When I pulled the valve cover I turned the mower over and both valves were opening and closing like they should. I am going to pull the fly wheel this morning to see if maybe it sheared the key. It acts like it jumped timing.

TX

10-18-08, 08:28 AM   #4  
Posted By: JD466US Yes to both of your questions. When I pulled the valve cover I turned the mower over and both valves were opening and closing like they should. I am going to pull the fly wheel this morning to see if maybe it sheared the key. It acts like it jumped timing.
I have run across quite a few Kohlers that had sheared flywheel keys which exhibited the same symptoms as yours, I think you might be on the right track.

10-18-08, 01:17 PM   #5  
I got it fixed. It was the flywheel key that had sheared off.The mower has only100 hrs. on it and I always keep it well maintained. At least it was a easy fix and I rebuilt the carb to boot so it should be good to go for a while. I want to thank you guys for answering my post. I am glad that I have found this web site and will keep visiting often. It looks to have many helpful forums.

Thanks,
JD

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-18-08, 08:22 PM   #6  
Very good... Glad you found the problem!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread