Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

need help

10-17-08, 10:50 PM   #1  
need help

hi.i like to buy a gas trimmer.i have 5 acres full of brusses and thick grass.i want to clean it.what gas trimmer do you recommend;i am looking for at least 2hp 4 cycle engine .not to expencive.i have a ryobi 975r for 10 years but i need something stronger.sorry for my english .thanks

Sponsored Links

10-18-08, 04:44 AM   #2  
i'm not crazy about the four cycles units but if you really want one look at the Honda. a little heavy but tons of low end torque and low tone noise level.
in either case, you need a straight shaft design with a steel driveshaft (not a cable) and the wide style "handlebars" so you can install a blade or string head. an engine size no smaller than 22cc, and hardware included for blade installation.
more importantly, you need to buy one that can be serviced locally. this is very important as a nonfunctioning unit has zero value no matter how much you saved buying it.
i have all Echo two stroke equipment and love them.
you might also consider the multi use models. you buy one powerhead and whatever attachments you want. this can save alot of money down the road.
my 24cc trimmer unit has a string trimmer, blade trimmer, edger, tiller, hedgetrimmer, and tree saw.

10-18-08, 06:17 AM   #3  
Yeah what you need is a brushcutter with blades that will also allow the use of a trimmer head for the typical yardwork.

I have no experience with 4 strokes, but do know they offer great low end torque and supposedly burn a bit cleaner than 2 strokes. If I was in the market for a nice brushcutter/trimmer I'd see if someone locally has one you could try before buying one. Some places that specialize in lawn equipment may have a test area for you to do just that.

I'd recommend buying the largest machine you can afford and handle. 35-40cc would be the minimum for me for the really heavy stuff. It might be a bit heavier than what you're used to it, but will make cutting the brush, vines, etc. alot quicker and easier. Later!

OK

10-18-08, 06:37 AM   #4  
If you have lots of heavy weeds and grass, you might consider buying a wheeled trimmer. They have big back wheels and use .155 trimmer line. You can do 10 times the work with 1/2 the effort of using a hand-held.
I'm cleaning out a corner of my 5 acres that I can't get to with a mower and weeds too big for a hand-held. Works great!
Thanks,

10-18-08, 06:43 AM   #5  
Yeah, a good idea on the wheeled trimmer.... I have never had the need for one as most of my trimming is on a hillside, in ditches, creekbeds, etc. I've seen them at my local Lowe's but never gave them much of a thought.

I use an older Sears brushcutter (made for them by some company in Japan) that has a 38cc 2 stroke and the wide bicycle handlebars and I can crank out 10-12" of line on each side of the head and make large swings with it side to side and clear alot of land rather quickly. If I have alot of brush, small trees, etc. I also have 2 blades that also work well.

But if this guy wants something large/fast for this particular area I'd say go for the wheeled trimmer. Later!

TX

10-18-08, 08:36 AM   #6  
A wheeled trimmer may be a great way to clear out, but will you need it once it's cleared. A good quality brush cutter from Echo, Shindaiwa, Stihl, Husqvarna, Maruyama, Honda, Red Max etc... will give you good service and may be a little more versatile then a wheeled model.

There are some 4-cycle units made by Shindaiwa and Sthil that use 2 cycle mix, so they don't have have a crankcase full of oil, can be operated just like a 2 stroke, and have the torque advantages of a 4 stroke.

Best of Luck in your quest...

10-18-08, 10:33 AM   #7  
thank you for your answers.i cant find a brushcuter with 4 cyrcle engine and over 2HP.ALSO i cant find in usa engines with over 50 cc like this one http://www.cranbrookengineering.co.u...ade-and-g.html .what is better a 4 cyrcle 32cc trimmer or a 48 cc 2 cyrcle;who got more HP;thanks

TX

10-18-08, 11:36 AM   #8  
You may be hard pressed to find 2-cycle units with engines over 50cc sizes due to emissions restrictions in the US.

This units are both rated over 2 hp with less then 50cc displacement.

http://www.shindaiwa.com/nam/en/prod...mmers/b450.php

http://www.usa.husqvarna.com/node309...2542&pid=39536

I personally have a 25cc four stroke, that runs along with 30cc 2-strokes because of the torque advantage. 4-stroke trimmers are also more fuel efficient, but a larger 2 stroke can have power advantages.

Stihl has a 55cc unit, I don't know how much they cost, but I would guess you may need to mortgage part of your property. This unit is rated over 3 hp

http://www.stihlusa.com/trimmers/FS550.html

Last edited by 30yearTech; 10-18-08 at 11:52 AM. Reason: additional info

Search this Thread