Bobcat/Ransomes xm3602 doesnt seem to change speed

Old 10-18-08, 07:32 PM
Bobcat/Ransomes xm3602 doesnt seem to change speed

I have a bobcat/ransoms xm3602, belt driven 36in commercial mower. When i move the lever it doesn't change speed. Moving the lever moves a pulley on the engine to tranny belt, thus changing tension, but it still does not change speed. Whats wrong?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-08, 07:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I am not familiar with that mower, but it sounds like it may be a variadrive type drive system. If so, it could be that the variadrive pulley is stuck. Does the engine drve belt go to the transmission, or a hydro pump, or a double pulley?

Old 10-18-08, 08:04 PM
The pulley is free, and it tensions and de-tensions with the lever, the lever tensions a 5/8" v-belt from the engine to gearbox, then from gear box to standard dual-v wheel belt set-up.

Old 10-18-08, 08:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like the pulley on the gearbox is a variable ratio pulley, and the sheaves of the pulley should spread and let the belt ride deeper int he pulley as more tension is applied to the belt, ad then the belt would ride farther out toward the edges of the pulley with less tension. If the sheave is stuck, this would limit it to one speed only. The pulley would still turn, but the sheaves wouldn't spread open or close shut.

The lever you mention is the only speed adjustment, correct? And you shift from fwd to rev with another lever, correct?

Old 10-18-08, 08:22 PM
I will look more closely at the gear box pulley, I didnt look for anything like that. This is the only lever. besides blade engagement. No reverse, neutral is maintained by hand-lever locks, wich releases tension on the drive wheel dual-v's. I will take some pics tomorrow. Its ugly I will say now, but it was free. And besides for needing a float, and not changing speed, it runs and cuts real nice. I mean cuts REALLY nice. And the speed is comfortable.

Old 10-19-08, 03:48 PM
The vari-drive pulley on the gear box on these units is usually spring loaded and the pulley can stick. If the belt from engine to gear box it too long it will not get enough tension to open the driven pulley and increase the ground speed, so make sure the drive belt is the correct one for your unit.

Old 10-21-08, 06:57 AM
Ok, thats the pulley it was. I replaced it and it functions properly. Thanks guys

Old 10-21-08, 10:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Great! Glad we could help. Kinda surprised...I have never worked on that type mower to my recollection.