briggs 20hp 2 cyl run low on oil

Old 10-19-08, 01:02 PM
briggs 20hp 2 cyl run low on oil

Hello,
Have an 20HP briggs 2cyl, Model 461707 that I didn't put enough oil in when I changed oil in it,about 4 weeks ago. I run it for about 45 mins then started hearing the motor starting to rattle ,,checked the oil and sure enough I had put 1/2 quart oil and never put the second full quart in.This is what answering a phone call and having to leave does for you,,,,how stupid.ME!!. Anyway, it did run for 4 more mowings fine but is noisy at idle,does not smoke,and has plenty of power.Actually while mowing you don't hear the rattling noise at all and sounds "normal".
Problem. This time when I went to mow,,the blades would barely turn. Looked and the PTO>lower seal is dripping oil steadily. I done some searching and found these motors do have a bushing/seal along with a second outer seal. Has anyone any experience with these motors? I m wondering if I also probably have either one or two rods,,that are probably scored as well,,or just the crankshaft bushings scored out?Trying to decide weather to rip this motor apart or just bite the bullet and buy a new rider. It is a 6 year old MTD/Yard Machine/46"cut. It is still in good shape as my yard only takes about 1.5 hrs to mow.

Thanks,
Barry

Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-08, 03:24 PM
There is most likely damage to the connecting rods and possibly the crankshaft. If your up to the challenge of tearing the engine down for inspection this is the only way to determine whether or not the engine can be rebuilt economically.

A shot block is another option but once again requires a bit of work. If the rest of the mower is in pretty good condition it's something to consider, chances are a complete new unit will cost about twice as much as it would run to fix your old one, if you do the work yourself.

If you are so inclined, and decide to tear into your engine, we can certainly help you with answers to your questions.

Search this Thread