Cant figure out how to remove air cleaner lower body

Old 10-20-08, 04:25 PM
Cant figure out how to remove air cleaner lower body

It is a B&S Model 461707 Type 0145 E2. I need to remove and clean the carb. The engine is running rough (lean). It will run ok if I keep the choke on. I cannot figure out how to remove the bottom portion of the air cleaner ?? There are three brass "things" that seem to be holding it on. I cant believe you have to drill them out to remove the air cleaner. I am definitely missing something here. I downloaded the IPL and OM however it has not helped me. It is like it is attached somehow to the carb. It looks like the carb is removed by unscrewing the bolts from the bottom - right ?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-08, 05:52 PM
The air filter base is supposed to be held in place with three screws going into the top of the carb, You can go to your parts break-down A/F assembly and look at reference number 971.....

There is no telling who put what in place of these screws, But what ever it is it needs to come out before the top of the carb can be removed for proper cleaning. And yes the carb is mounted to the intake with two long screws from the bottom.

Good Luck

Old 10-21-08, 05:36 AM
31ytech - thank you. This was driving me nuts. God only knows what the three brass things are -- they sure are not screws. I will try grabbing them with a small pair of locking pliers.

Old 10-21-08, 08:07 AM
Well -- what appeared to be flat round head brass rivets turned out to be brass flat hex head screws. I grabbed one with a pair of vise grips and it turned. After looking close at it, I realized it really was a hex head screw. The tops looked round until I looked at the sides. I guess the eyes are not what they used to be.