Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Mower starts but will not run -

10-21-08, 11:20 AM   #1  
Mower starts but will not run -

Hello Equipment Guru's.

I have a Yard Machine 6.5 B&S mower. It will start when primed, but immediately dies.

I put new gas today (tank was empty). Checked the oil - added about 1/4 quart to bring up to full. Seems to have good plug - not burnt and only about 6 months old.

After reading other posts, I removed the bowl (was full of gas and continued to drip as I checked the screw. Only one hole in it and it was clean. Bowl looked new - no gunk.

The last time it ran (couple months ago), I was mowing behind my house (about 1 acre). Was about 1/2 done and ran out of gas - filled it back up and it wouldnt start. I thought maybe too hot or bad gas. I let it cool and emptied the gas. Borrowed another mower and havent thought about it again till today.

HELP!!!

Thanks a million,
Ben

Sponsored Links

TX

10-21-08, 12:13 PM   #2  
There should be 3 visible openings in the float bowl nut, or none at all depending on the style of carburetor. Since yours has a primer, then it should have the 3 openings in the nut. 1 dead center in the top and 2 opposite each other on the area just below the threaded portion. The fuel will flow from the bowl in from the side openings and up out the top orifice which is actually the metering jet for the carburetor. You should also check the nozzle that runs up into the throat of the carburetor to make sure it's open all the way through as well.

10-21-08, 01:26 PM   #3  
Posted By: 30yearTech There should be 3 visible openings in the float bowl nut, or none at all depending on the style of carburetor. Since yours has a primer, then it should have the 3 openings in the nut. 1 dead center in the top and 2 opposite each other on the area just below the threaded portion. The fuel will flow from the bowl in from the side openings and up out the top orifice which is actually the metering jet for the carburetor. You should also check the nozzle that runs up into the throat of the carburetor to make sure it's open all the way through as well.
Ok - i took the bowl off again and yes, there is a hole that goes straight through (which I can see is clean and clear). I also notices the hole on the top. What is a good item to use to ensure that hole is not clogged? Also what to check the "nozzle that runs up into the throat"?

Should gas be leaking the entire time the bowl is removed? I guess that would make sense, but I am just making sure.

Thanks,
Ben

MO

10-21-08, 04:19 PM   #4  
I use the wire from a twist tie to clean the holes, it is supposed to drip gas while the float is down, as the mower uses fuel the float drops and lets more fuel into the bowl, when the bowl is full the float raises and shuts off the fuel. Have a good one. Geo

10-23-08, 10:09 AM   #5  
Thanks for the help! The twist-tie wire did the trick and all works great. Also, the float explaination helped me to keep all the fuel from dripping out while I worked on the nut.

Thanks again!
Ben - the guy with the freshly mowed lawn!

TX

10-24-08, 02:35 PM   #6  
Glad we were able to assist. Thanks for the update

Search this Thread