Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Honda ES6500C generator problems

10-21-08, 07:27 PM   #1  
Honda ES6500C generator problems

There is something intermittent with this unit that is driving me nuts. Usually I have to let it run about 3-5 minutes before the pilot light lights and it will then generate. Will run flawlessly after this initial warmup even if shut down and restarted. I have had it produce power instantly just a few times but usually it takes 3-5 mins. Today I let it run for about 15 mins and no power. It is a Honda ES6500C S/N EA1-1001182. If someone could give me some test procedures or tell me what is wrong I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks so much.

Sponsored Links

10-23-08, 11:26 AM   #2  
Anyone have any test info on this unit? Thanks.

OK

10-23-08, 06:11 PM   #3  
check to see if your unit has brushes, if so check for sticking brushes, they may be sticking in the holders and making intermittent connection.

life begins when the kids leave home and the dog dies

10-23-08, 07:47 PM   #4  
That was the first thing I did and they were fine. Must be a control unit?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-23-08, 08:09 PM   #5  
I don't have any literature on that unit. I imagine it could be a capacitor, bad connection, rpm problem, etc... Could be a lot of things but no real way to know without checking/testing it.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

10-23-08, 09:45 PM   #6  
Would you have any literature on a later unit? They seem basically all the same.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-24-08, 12:55 PM   #7  
Here is a manual pulled from Honda's website. Use ES6500 (no C at end) to view 4 documents available there.
http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/p...s/31ZA0724.pdf

God bless!

Forum Topic Moderator

OH

10-24-08, 01:13 PM   #8  
If the auto throttle is on, it will take longer to warm up than if it is off - per the manual. Could this be the problem?

Woody

You can trust your car - and a whole lot more - to the man who wears a star.

10-24-08, 03:57 PM   #9  
Thanks cheese. That's an owners manual which I already downloaded but tells you nothing about diagnostics etc. I guess I need the service/shop manual.

Goldstar it makes no difference where the switch is. It doesn't produce power for 5 -15 minutes. Yesterday I played with it and it took 3 mins to light the pilot light and worked fine. Seems the longer it sits unused the longer it takes to produce power.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-25-08, 01:06 AM   #10  
That was the only manual I could find, but it has a wiring diagram that you may be able to follow to find the problem.

God bless!

11-08-08, 04:38 PM   #11  
Honda ES 6500 Generator

I have the same ES 6500 Generaotr. ANd I have just started it for this season and the pilot light will not come on. IOt has always starte and the pilot light was on instantly, I took your advice and took off the cover and check but was not able to see any brushes. I did see the half moon regulator. ANd I did check continuity from the connections there all the way to the main board all of them chek out...any more suggestions...Thanks Dave

TN

11-09-08, 08:19 AM   #12  
Posted By: DZOSE I have the same ES 6500 Generaotr. ANd I have just started it for this season and the pilot light will not come on. IOt has always starte and the pilot light was on instantly, I took your advice and took off the cover and check but was not able to see any brushes. I did see the half moon regulator. ANd I did check continuity from the connections there all the way to the main board all of them chek out...any more suggestions...Thanks Dave
I take it there is no power output as well as no pilot light? There are brushes in your unit. I suggest you first clean the brushes and the slip rings. If that does not correct it you will need to troubleshoot.

Send me a PM with an email address and the serial number of your unit. I will send you the troubleshooting procedure.

11-27-08, 07:41 PM   #13  
Posted By: DZOSE I have the same ES 6500 Generaotr. ANd I have just started it for this season and the pilot light will not come on. IOt has always starte and the pilot light was on instantly, I took your advice and took off the cover and check but was not able to see any brushes. I did see the half moon regulator. ANd I did check continuity from the connections there all the way to the main board all of them chek out...any more suggestions...Thanks Dave

Any luck fixing your generator?

Search this Thread