Log Splitter With Briggs And Stratton 6.5hp

Old 10-27-08, 04:07 PM
Log Splitter With Briggs And Stratton 6.5hp

Need some hlep with throttle adjustment, or whatever I may need advised on. I have a Yard Machines by MTD log splitter. This motor has a switch on top that says RUN to the left and CHOKE to the right.

When I start the motor it runs costantly in the choke position and it seems to be at a normal rpm. When I turn back to the run position it runs at a super high rpm. It is runnng at the highest speed possible if you were to ask me.

This splitter ran good when i parked it last year. Seems like the governor is screwed up, but what do I know thats why I am asking here. It loks to me that its not adjustable.

Here is the information on the splitter. I will list all the number I found on the motor hope they help.

The motor is a Briggs & Stratton 6.5HP.

Numbers on the sticker on the gas tank are::

YBSXS.1901VE 275078

These number were stamped on the motor::

120602 6182 E1 020302 FA

Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-08, 04:40 PM
What you describe sounds normal. Your log splitter is designed to run at a constant high RPM. RPM is adjustable through tensioning the governor spring. If you feel the RPM is too high have it tested and set to specifications. I do not have the RPM requirement at my disposal but 3600 RPM comes to mind.

Old 10-27-08, 05:05 PM
Airman,

Thanks for the reply. I will see what I can do about getting it checked. For some reason it just seems like it is running faster than it did before. Could just be me though.

How do you check RPM? Does this take a special piece of equiptment?

mark

Old 10-27-08, 05:55 PM
Originally Posted by maronha View Post
How do you check RPM? Does this take a special piece of equipment?
It requires a tachometer to check the operating RPM's of the engine.

Old 10-27-08, 06:07 PM
I use a simple and inexpensive tachometer for 4-cycle engines. You too can own a highly accurate tachometer, no batteries need, for $25.00 or less. I would venture to say MOST small engine mechanics own and use this same tachometer.

It is sold under Briggs and Stratton part number 19200 and probably by other companies also.

Read about the TREYSIT tachometer here and download the manual.

http://www.treysit.com/TREYSIT_Sirom...volution-.html