Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Snapper riding mower

11-01-08, 12:00 PM   #1  
Snapper riding mower

I have an older Snapper riding mower and just last weekend ran into a problem. I can be riding along and the mower engine will stop. I can restart, but as soon as I either let off the clutch pedal or engage the blade the engine immediately stops again. I imagine there is a switch somewhere that is bad, but I'm not sure where it is.

The mower is hydrostatic drive with the Kohler 14 hp engine. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

11-01-08, 08:42 PM   #2  
Sounds like the seat switch has come unplugged or gone bad.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

11-02-08, 03:53 AM   #3  
I'll check the seat switch, but if that were the problem wouldn't it not start at all? The blade has to be disengaged for the mower to start which leads me to believe there is another switch-I just don't know where it is.

FL

11-02-08, 06:35 AM   #4  
Posted By: fdeaton I'll check the seat switch, but if that were the problem wouldn't it not start at all?

There are double contacts inside the clutch switch, When the clutch pedal is pushed the "start" contacts connect so the engine will start. Once running, The switch drops the "start" contacts and connects the "run" contacts which activates/completes the circuit for any other safety switches in the system. There is a time delay module that keeps the engine running while the clutch pedal is released during the transition from "start" to "run" positions.

As Mr. Cheese mentioned, If the seat switch is not functioning properly this "run" circuit will be left open therefore shut the engine down when the clutch is released.

11-02-08, 07:17 AM   #5  
That makes sense and thanks for the reply. I was planning on replacing this switch this winter anyway so I guess I'll go ahead and order it in hopes it solves the problem!

Search this Thread