40:1 versus 50:1

Old 11-07-08, 05:39 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
40:1 versus 50:1

I just bought a Homelight 16" gas chainsaw. I bought the smallest gas chainsaw I could find as I only do what I would call "light" sawing of dead wood and windfall that is ~6" dia. I will likely only use this chainsaw 6 or 7 times a year.

The saw calls for 50:1 gas to oil mixture.

I already keep a 40:1 mixture around for my weed trimmer and blower.

Are there any serious long term detrimental effects on the engine for using a mixture that is just a bit too rich? It seems to run fine, doesn't even seem to smoke too much like I thought it might.

Thoughts?

Old 11-07-08, 05:44 PM
No, you should not have any problems using a 40:1 ratio in this saw, there is very little difference in the amount of oil, and a little extra will not harm anything.

Old 11-07-08, 06:10 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
I notice that most modern 2 strokes are 50:1. Has engine metallurgy & design improved or is the change for environmental reasons?

Old 11-07-08, 06:17 PM
I am not sure, but it may be technological advances in the oil blends, as many now market their oil mixes at older engines that asked for higher ratio's. It's not the oil mixed in the gas that pollutes, it's the unburned fuel in the exhaust and 2 cycle engines are notorious for this, as they use some of the fresh charge of fuel / air mix to purge the combustion chamber, so I don't think it has much to do with environmental issues, although the smoke does tend to make it look bad.

Old 11-08-08, 04:23 AM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
it's all about the oil. before the synthetics came along we used 16:1 ratios to get the lubrication needed. i regularly use an 80:1 oil with no complications in various units that call for anything from 30:1 to 50:1. you'll see higher ratios in the future. if your unit called for 16:1 and you were to move to 50:1 you might have to re-tune the hi speed mixture to compensate for the additional fuel in the mix but going from 40 to 50 is not significant.

Old 11-08-08, 05:06 AM
I
Back in the days when snowmobiling was taking off like a rocket(early 70's) we were mixing 1 quart of motor oil oil to 5gals gas. They did not have any special 2 cycle oil then. They smoked terribly and fouled plugs all day. Everytime you stopped and idled for a couple minutes, you would foul a plug. I carried 6 new plugs with me for my 340cc twin. Then came along a 40:1 2 cycle oil. 1 pint to 5 gals gas. That solved the fouling problem and you did not smell like smoke after riding for an hour. Then came 50:1 oil. 1 pint to 6 gals gas. These mixtures worked well even in the older snowmobiles. Now with the synthetics, we have 100:1 mixes that work just as well.
If you already have 40:1 mixed, use it. you will have no problems.
With all the advances in 2-cycle oil technology, use the mixture that the oil says it is, not what the owners manual says.

Old 11-08-08, 11:54 AM
W
Tanaka makes a mutli-mix oil. I spoke to a rep in the company and they told me that you mix, 1 small bottle to 1 gallon of gas and it can be used in any mix engine. I have 20:1, 25:1, 40:1 and 50:1 engine. They told me I can use the same can of mix in all my tools.

Old 11-08-08, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
I tried the 1 mix for everything oil a few (ok, more than a few) years ago. My stuff smoked and was hard to start, lots of junk on the exhaust...no fun at all. Switched back to the makers oil and it cleared right up. These were residential tools, not pro stuff. This was before synth oils. Prob much better now.

No need for any of it now, yard is much smaller, no grass, few leaves. When the blower dies I'll prob switch to an electric model.

Old 11-08-08, 01:12 PM
J
I use a product called Opti-2 (cotains fuel stabilizer ) 2 cycle lube.
About $1.50 for tube for 1 gal. of gas..
Also avail. in 34 oz. plastic bottle.
Works great in all my 2 cycle engines--no smoke...........

Old 11-10-08, 03:50 AM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gunguy45
I tried the 1 mix for everything oil a few (ok, more than a few) years ago. My stuff smoked and was hard to start, lots of junk on the exhaust...no fun at all. Switched back to the makers oil and it cleared right up. These were residential tools, not pro stuff. This was before synth oils. Prob much better now.

No need for any of it now, yard is much smaller, no grass, few leaves. When the blower dies I'll prob switch to an electric model.
i always tell folks to stay away from generic cheap mix oils.
as far as original equipment brand oils, you'd be suprised where it comes from. we would get a load of Shindaiwa oil on the same truck that was delivering Stihl oil. i use Optimol, Echo, and some Belray MC1 i have laying around. have yet to have an oil lube related failure or fouled plug.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: