What can I pull behind my small tractor mower to prepare yard ?

Old 11-02-08, 01:48 PM

I have about 2 acres, the front part of which is sodded and is coming in nicely. The back part is about 3/4 acre is still rather bare and was never sodded. I want the native grasses from the surrounding areas to reclaim this area. Right now, there are a ton of weeds, thorns and fire ants laying claim to this area. I was thinking I could get something to pull behind my little tractor to scrape or prepare the soil and either plant some seed or spread weed&feed of some sort to discourage the weeds and thorns. Ideas ?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-08, 02:12 PM
I've heard of people pulling a piece of chain link fence around but the size depends on how big your little tractor is.

Old 11-02-08, 02:30 PM
Thanks for the idea. Matter of fact, Ive seen somebody doing this before and I didnt realize what they were doing until weeks later when they told me.

Old 11-03-08, 12:25 PM
I've seen the same thing done with chainlink fence. The place a few cinder blocked on the fench for weight.

Old 11-03-08, 02:40 PM

A section of chain link with a few block will help on leveling.

If you do not disturb or loosen the soil you will have little effect on the thorns, weeds and ants and may still have to use Roundup or similar to hopefully kill them. You will still have to do something about the ants with chemicals. Ants can be expected to return.

Once you kill the weeds, level the area, then plant your ground cover. Some weeds and thorns are tough to kill, especially when they have gone dormant.

Dick