Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Cleaned Walbro/electric fuel shut off,but!

11-02-08, 04:36 PM   #1  
Cleaned Walbro/electric fuel shut off,but!

Have Craftsman 42" mower with Kohler 16.5hp . Kept cutting off, seemed not to be getting gas. Blew out lines,put in new fuel filter and new air filters. That didn't work so pulled carb. and cleaned with gummout and blew out with air. This carb also has electric (solenoid type) fuel shut off. Tested this and it open when current applied. Put back together, runs great for about 20 minutes or so, but the filter has just a trickle of gas. Could that solenoid be working for awhile and then shutting off fuel supply after it warms up? Or am I on the wrong track?

Sponsored Links

FL

11-02-08, 07:11 PM   #2  
You may want to check your gas cap and make sure it's venting properly.

11-03-08, 05:13 PM   #3  
cleaned Walbro/with electric fuel shut 0ff,but!

Thanks for tip, but sprayed carbcleaner through vent in cap and also did not crank down on cap, but will give another try. Any other ideas will be appreciated. Thanks again.

FL

11-03-08, 05:43 PM   #4  
You may want to check for spark at the plug when it shuts down, Could be a weak coil heating up and dropping spark.

One other thing, Next time you clean a carb use something other than Gummout brand. That stuff is nothing more than mineral spirits in a spray can, Doesn't cut fuel varnish/gum worth crap.

11-03-08, 06:38 PM   #5  
Will try spark check. Also will lose gummout.
When it kind of coughs or sputters out, there is no gas left in filter and just a trikle coming into filter, which seems to indicate it is starving for gas. Yet I blew out all lines, which makes me suspect faulty solenoid or electric shut off closing off fuel supply. But I am just guessing. Thanks again, probably be wednesday before I can check it again, but will keep checking for any other suggestions. Thanks, FM

Search this Thread