MAC 3200 Carb Help

Old 11-03-08, 12:22 PM
MAC 3200 Carb Help

I have have McCulloch MAC 3200 chainsaw. I will start fine but even after warming up It will bot idle when I let go of the throttle. I played the the thottle setting but nothing seemed to work. So I figure the Carb is junked up. Which it mostly is since it does not get much use. So I took the top cover off and accessed the carb. But I can not figure out how to remove the carb. So I was able to get the bottom off and remove the diaphram and clean that up a little. When I press the float fuel sprays out so that is clear. But we all know thats not a good cleaning. So with that said my question is how do I remove the carb from the saw. It looks like I may have to disassemble the entire saw to get to it. Second once I have it soaked and cleaned it, How do I adjust the High and Low setting? (Red and Blue screws)

Model Numbetr is not readable as it is as sticker. The saw was purchased between 91-95. It is a MAC 3200 with 14" bar.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-08, 10:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Wish I could help more, but I can't recall how the 3200 is set up. I do know a lot of the mac saws were a pain to get apart and back together. Try opening up the low speed mixture screw a bit and see if it will idle then.

Old 11-05-08, 04:35 AM
Thanks Cheese. It looks like a pain is why I asked if there was another way.
With the High and Low. How should I start with those? Which way do I turn them to open and close. Also this the thottle screw what is the best way to start setting that? Should I screw it in until it just moves the thottle?

Old 11-05-08, 04:28 PM
Counter clockwise to open. Close them until they just stop turning and then back them out 1 1/2 turns each. This is a basic starting point. Does not matter for the idle stop screw for starting, this just sets the idle speed.

Is your carburetor on the top or the side of your saw??

Old 11-06-08, 07:07 AM
The carb is on top of the saw. The High and Low are red and blue plastic screws that They only turn 1/4 to 1/2 turn.

Old 11-06-08, 07:43 AM
The carburetor should come off fairly easily with a couple of screws on the air filter cover, there may be a small plastic cover that snaps off to access the retaining screws. Removing the screws then you can lift off the air filter cover and then the carburetor can be removed. The limiter caps would have to be removed in order to adjust the carburetor beyond the limits set by the caps. Usually this is not needed if the carburetor is working properly.

Old 11-07-08, 03:47 PM
I have take the top off and taken the small air filter cover off. But I do not see any screws that hold the carb in place?

Old 11-07-08, 04:16 PM
I have a similar problem with my mac 14 inch saw. It stalls when trying to start and I have rebuilt the carb. I am trying to see if a problem of venting could be at fault. It primes but becomes stiff. any thoughts?

Old 11-07-08, 05:09 PM
Originally Posted by waterdowg View Post
I have take the top off and taken the small air filter cover off. But I do not see any screws that hold the carb in place?
If your chainsaw is like the one in the image in the link, then you need to remove ref # 71 and # 70 to gain access to the mtg screws ref # 67

www.imower.com/images/211229-03.pdf

Old 11-07-08, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by eagleeye View Post
I have a similar problem with my mac 14 inch saw. It stalls when trying to start and I have rebuilt the carb. I am trying to see if a problem of venting could be at fault. It primes but becomes stiff. any thoughts?
Could possibly have the lines to the carburetor and primer hooked up incorrectly, and or possibly the fuel filter in the fuel tank may need to be replaced.

Old 11-08-08, 11:46 AM
Thanks 30YearTech. That is the saw i have. I feel like an idiot. I have remove those part many times, but I keep looking for more screws to take out the carb. I did not realize that the screw part #67 held in the carb. The gasket must really be sealed good because I have given the carb at tug and twist before think It would come out but it would never break lose. I never pulled to hard or tried to pry it out not want to break anything. I will have to go back to try again. Now that I know the screws are out I should be fine. Thanks.

Old 11-09-08, 07:52 AM
You are welcome, and keep us updated on your progress...

Old 11-10-08, 07:45 PM
Mac 2014 chainsaw dead

I have put a bunch of time into this saw even installing a manual oiler for the chain since the plastic gear is not to be found. Once assembled, it will try to start but act as if the carb is off set. I have rebuilt it and checked the fuel filter and prime. Is it a critical adjustment to make it run? It was a fine running machine until the oil system died.

Old 11-11-08, 12:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You say the primer bulb becomes stiff....meaning it fills with fuel and then won't press anymore? If so, there is still a problem in the carburetor.

Old 11-13-08, 08:44 AM
Mac 2014 chainsaw dead

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have put a bunch of time into this saw even installing a manual oiler for the chain since the plastic gear is not to be found. Once assembled, it will try to start but act as if the carb is off set. I have rebuilt it and checked the fuel filter and prime system. Is it a critical adjustment to make it run? It was a fine running machine until the oil system died. Good compression!

Old 11-13-08, 09:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you're asking if the carb has critical adjustments that can keep the engine from running, the answer is yes.

Refer to my previous post.....

Old 11-18-08, 07:33 AM
I will try to get to it this weekend and pull the carb off and clean. I have been bussy clean up leaves, getting the lawn equipment winterized and get the Snowblower ready for action. Hope to get to it sunday. Will keep you posted with my progress.