Low Oil Sensor..... Where Is It???

Old 11-04-08, 07:41 AM
Low Oil Sensor..... Where Is It???

After having several power outages we decided to buy a portable generator. We went to our local Lowe's and picked out the Troy-Bilt 8000 series model. It has a B&S 15 HP Vanguard engine. After e-mailing B&S I have found out pretty much all there is to know about this generator (much more than what the manual explains)...... except for the low oil system. They told me it has a "run sense oil system" meaning the generator will start up, but if the sensor finds an oil volume issue it will shut the engine down. Most engines have some sort of sensor on the block, but I can't find one on this engine. They did assure me it has this protection and it is listed on the wiring diagram, but I just can't find it myself.

I just looked closely at the diagram and the system lists a "low oil float switch"...... could this mean this engine has this part internally and that could explain the lack of a sensor or wires on the block? Thanks in advance. Later!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-08, 09:19 AM
Stop worring about it--when the oil gets low it will shut down the engine.
I had a small unit ( back in the 70's ) both neighbors plugged into it for a
number of days--started to use oil real good--it shut down to save the engine.
Fill it up again---good to go.............

Old 11-05-08, 06:18 PM
Yes the sensor is internal, you could follow the wire from the kill switch or ignition module back to where it enters the engine block if you want to locate it.

Old 11-06-08, 04:40 AM
Thanks for the reply. Having an engine with a low oil sensor is new to me. Is having it inside the engine a negative since it will be subjected to more heat? Later!

Old 11-06-08, 06:46 AM
No, it's no problem having it inside the engine, the important thing is to keep up with maintenance and change your oil on a regular basis to keep contaminates from causing issues with the sensor.

If you can post the engine model and type nos. I can probably tell you where your sensor is located.