tecumseh 7hp, no spark?

Old 11-04-08, 11:42 AM
tecumseh 7hp, no spark?

I have a tecumseh 7hp motor on my rototiller, I just put a new Ignition in it, but still no spark! Im not exactly sure on how to set the timing can any one help? I also dont now what the clearance should be on the magnets?

thanks kevin

Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-08, 01:24 PM
Please post your engine model and type numbers.

What do you mean by new ignition? Are you refereing to a coil? Does the engine have points and condensor? Post the info and we can help.

Old 11-04-08, 02:03 PM
tecumseh hh70

it is a hh70-140056e, with pull start. I put a new condenser, contact assy break and a coil on it. I think the magnets mite be to far? but I dont see a way to adjust them!

Old 11-04-08, 02:56 PM
2 things come to mind.

1) even though you put new points, did you clean them after installing? If not get 2 thin strips of clean lint free heavy paper stock. Wet one with crab cleaner and run through the points. Run the other through dry.

2) If you replaced the coil, I am assuming you replaced the stator plate also. If so you will need to set timing. Do you have a tecumseh dial indicator to do this?

Old 11-04-08, 04:41 PM
I do not have a tecumseh dial indicater, is their a different way to set the timing? I cleaned the point but I will clean them again to be sure!

Old 11-05-08, 06:07 PM
If your coil is located underneath the flywheel, you do not need to adjust the gap between the magnets and the coil. One of the most common reasons for a no spark issue is contact between one of the wires where it connects to the points and a ground. Routing the condenser wire incorrectly can allow it to rub against the flywheel and ground out. Check the kill switch lead and make sure it's not grounded as well.

Old 11-05-08, 07:30 PM
Same 7HP HSK70

Sorry to butt in, but couldn't figure out how to do a new post.
I've got a 7HP on a snow blower. The mice got in it so I put a new coil and carb on it. I've got it running pretty good, but it throws flames out the muffler like a dragster on a saturday night under the lights. I don't want to hurt the engine. I know that the top adjusment is for low idle and the bottom adjustment on the bowl is for the high idle, but would the screw on the side by the muffler have anything to do with it? I don't want to mess with it since it should have come already set. Do I have the coil st too close? I think I have it set to specs.

Again. I apologize for jumping in. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Bruce

Old 11-05-08, 07:48 PM
Post engine model and type #'s

Old 11-05-08, 07:59 PM
Engine Type

Thanks for replying!

Here's what I know,

Tecumseh 7HP
MFG 1692681
Ser# 53956

The other numers are:

130292T
DOM.6232D

Thanks for your help and have a great night!

Old 11-13-08, 07:37 PM
Thumbs up Tecumseh no spark

I am also interested in your problem here. New to the forum and this place is right up my alley. I to have a no spark problem. Mine is a H70. The magnets came off the flywheel. I reglued them after marking the old glue area. They seem to line up nicely with the coil. I checked the wiring and crossed check with a running 5HP that I have, still no spark. Can we figure this out together.

Lenny

Old 11-17-08, 04:51 PM
Originally Posted by alenone View Post
I am also interested in your problem here. New to the forum and this place is right up my alley. I to have a no spark problem. Mine is a H70. The magnets came off the flywheel. I reglued them after marking the old glue area. They seem to line up nicely with the coil. I checked the wiring and crossed check with a running 5HP that I have, still no spark. Can we figure this out together.

Lenny
I have never had any luck gluing the magnets back on either, I don't know for sure or if it even makes any difference, but perhaps the polarity on the magnets may be wrong.