Trouble starting

Old 11-06-08, 10:44 AM
Trouble starting

Hello,
New to the forum, I've read couple of the posts and thought this would be the place for answers.

I have a MTD lawn tractor briggs & Stratton 18 hp model 42A707 type 2238E1 code 0005315B L-engine.

the motor bogs down and won't turn to start, will spin freely with the plugs removed.

I've read where the valves need adjustment, but that's for OHV. found out after taking the engine apart. Currently in the process of cleaning the carbon buildup.

could the breather be bad/dirty and cause a compression buildup? what would you guys do next?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-08, 06:10 PM
You didn't post the tractor model number, But MTD wasn't thinking when they installed these twin engines with the shorter starter then put the battery back under the seat. (only a guess on your's)

I would check the condition of the battery and connections first then move to the starter. I have seen many of these twins wear the top bushing in the starter and cause it to drag under load, A tear-down inspection and cleaning/lubing of the starter if the bushing is good could also do the trick.

Good Luck

Old 11-07-08, 04:42 AM
thanks 31ytech, I've put a new battery in and the starter will spin the engine fine only with the plugs out. When the plugs are in the engine bogs down. remove the plugs turn the engine and a little gas spews out after a while of turning the engine I see gas leaking out of the muffler.

Old 11-07-08, 11:59 AM
engine want start

I've sent you three private messages. If you do not know how to open them, write me. [email protected] or ask someone on the forum. Tom

Old 11-07-08, 04:07 PM
Originally Posted by gardener321 View Post
I've sent you three private messages. If you do not know how to open them, write me. [email protected] or ask someone on the forum. Tom
Thanks for the private messages, I've replied