Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

toro 521 snowthrower

11-07-08, 02:32 PM   #1  
toro 521 snowthrower

Purchased from yard sale. Has not been run in 2-3 years. Carb. cleaned (varnish in tank) Installed new float. Runs fine with starting fluid, won't stay running. Ideas?

Last edited by jackie c; 11-07-08 at 02:32 PM. Reason: spelling

Sponsored Links

MO

11-07-08, 03:12 PM   #2  
Post the engine model number and codes so we can determine what carb you may have. If it is a tecumseh engine and a bowl type carb make sure the holes in the bowl nut(main jet) are clean, usually 2 at the bottom and a tiny one about 1/2 way up(I use the wire from a twist tie). You should also replace the fuel line since it will have varnish in it also and will continue to flake off and screw up the carb. Have a good one. Geo

11-08-08, 12:48 AM   #3  
Posted By: geogrubb Post the engine model number and codes so we can determine what carb you may have. If it is a tecumseh engine and a bowl type carb make sure the holes in the bowl nut(main jet) are clean, usually 2 at the bottom and a tiny one about 1/2 way up(I use the wire from a twist tie). You should also replace the fuel line since it will have varnish in it also and will continue to flake off and screw up the carb. Have a good one. Geo
Yes it is the tecumseh engine. I will double check to make sure all jets are clean. Thank you much. JC

NH

11-08-08, 05:12 AM   #4  
Did you soak the carb? Spray cleaners do very little on the inside of the carb if there is a large varnish build up.
Does the carb have a screw on the bottom of the bowl or is it just a plug? If it has a screw, lightly turn it all the way in, then back it off 1.5 turns.

11-12-08, 05:13 AM   #5  
Posted By: geogrubb Post the engine model number and codes so we can determine what carb you may have. If it is a tecumseh engine and a bowl type carb make sure the holes in the bowl nut(main jet) are clean, usually 2 at the bottom and a tiny one about 1/2 way up(I use the wire from a twist tie). You should also replace the fuel line since it will have varnish in it also and will continue to flake off and screw up the carb. Have a good one. Geo
Geo: missed the tiny jet, Cleaned and replaced fuel line, Starts and runs like a champ. Many thanks.

Search this Thread