Snow blower startup problem

Old 11-10-08, 09:33 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Angry Snow blower startup problem

I've a 3 year old Ariens snow blower with Tecumseh snow king 5.5 HP engine. At the end of the season I run the blower untill the gas is used up. This time of the year I put fresh gas and try to startup but no luck. If I add little gas thru the sparkplug opening, it will start untill that gas is used up! This has happened past two years and I've brought the blower in for repair. The mechanic tells me that the carburetor is gummed up. What can I do differently for the end of the season storage?

Old 11-10-08, 10:13 AM
J
Add Sta-Bil fuel stabilizer to your gasoline...............

Old 11-10-08, 10:38 AM
Thats a problem with running the engine "dry". There is always a little gas left in the bowl,unless you drain it.

When i store my OPE for a season, i add stabil to new fresh gas,run engine for 5-10 minutes ,and put it away in my shed till next season. No problems.
I wouldn't recommend this procedure if you store you blower anywhere inside your house

Old 11-10-08, 11:24 AM
R
Thanks. I'll use stabilizer and fresh gas, run it for 10 min. and hope that it will start next winter.

Old 11-10-08, 12:34 PM
I
I also add Isopropel drygas. Here in New Hampshire we are now running E-10 gas (10% ethonal) which is causing lots of problems as ethonal ATTRACTS moisture.

Old 11-10-08, 12:34 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Unless you live in a cold summer climate I further recommend starting up the engine once per month during summer storage. I'm from northern New York and we have only mildly hot summers and, still, most of our customers have issues with varnished fuel system even using a fuel stabilizer. Keep a full tank of fuel (this reduces condensation accumulation), stabilize accordingly to your tank size and run once a month. It helps out greatly.

Old 11-10-08, 01:20 PM
R
One of the mechanics had suggested the same thing: full tank of gas + stabilzer and run it for at least five minutes every month. It is such a hassle to get that snow blower to the repair shop every year that I am prepared to try anything to avoid that. I also noted what Indypower mentioned. Our gas is E-10.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: