Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Opinions on a Used Snapper 5hp Mower

IL

11-11-08, 11:09 AM   #1  
Opinions on a Used Snapper 5hp Mower

I'm gonna look at a used mower tonight. Lady says it is a 5hp Snapper. Says it runs good except the self drive doesn't work anymore. She is only asking $30, so I figure I'll pick it up considering a new one costs well over 2 or 3 hundred!
Any opinions on snappers or how to fix the self drive unit?

Sponsored Links

NH

11-11-08, 12:23 PM   #2  
could be just a broken or worn drive belt. Get the numbers and that will give us a better idea of what we are dealing with.

TX

11-11-08, 04:19 PM   #3  
Snappers are great machines, there could be a multitude of problems with the self propel, or it could be something as simple as a broken tension spring. If it runs good, it's certainly worth $30.00 for the engine alone.

IL

11-12-08, 06:05 AM   #4  
The mower wouldn't start last night in the rain, so she told me to just take it! Can't beat Free! Lady says it has sat for like 2 years, having gotten it when her parents passed. It has 2 yr. old gas in it now. It is an older snapper, model P21507B. The differential drive on the back axle seems to work, so maybe it is just missing a belt... but I don't really see how a belt would go??

IL

11-12-08, 06:27 AM   #5  
So I see online that my mower is missing a whole drive unit/ clutch unit deal. It would sit on the rear deck and recieve a belt from the engine's shaft. It then has a smaller belt, turned 90 degrees, to run to the diff. on the rear axle. Strange set up, but I guess everyone loves it. So unless i can find this little "gearbox" contraption, this mower will just stay as a push mower... If I can get it to fire up it will be good enuff for now! If not, well, a guy at work is always driving one of the scrapper trucks

TX

11-12-08, 07:07 AM   #6  
Two year old gas, it needs to be drained and the carburetor most likely needs to be cleaned out and maybe a kit installed. You can try priming the engine and see if it will fire off, at least that way you will know if it's worth messing with.

Search this Thread