Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Carburetor Problem with Tecumseh engine!


Dr. Dirt's Avatar
Member

Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1

11-11-08, 03:09 PM   #1  
Carburetor Problem with Tecumseh engine!

I Picked up a discarded Craftsman "Eager 1" self-propelled, walk-behind, mulcher lawn mower and I am having trouble with getting it to run more than a few seconds. The engine model number is shown as 143.016700 and the Family type is YTPXS.1951 BA. The displacement is listed as 195 and the date of manufacture is given as 0308C.
Initially, I disassembled the entire engine, cleaned everything properly and reassembled it (although I may have messed up the linkage between the governor and the throttle because I didn't record the holes used originally). I have checked out several small engine repair manuals ( Haynes, Chilton, etc) from the library, but none contain reference to either the model number or the engine family type (and they list more than a thousand model numbers in their cross-reference charts).
The carburetor has no settings to adjust, save a single screw to set the minimum speed that the governor can control. I have started it by injecting an eye-dropper volume of raw gasoline into the air intake and the engine responds immediately on the first pull and then stops as soon as the governor takes over. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong or what I'm not doing right? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Dr. Dirt

 
Sponsored Links
geogrubb's Avatar
Member

Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,333
MO

11-11-08, 03:20 PM   #2  
Clamp off the fuel line, remove the carb bowl, release the clamp to see if you have good fuel flow to the carb, raise the float to see that it shuts off the flow with minimal pressure, clean the junk from the bowl, clean the bowl nut, 2 holes close to the bottom and a tiny one about midway up(I usually use the wire from a twist tie), spray all holes, cracks and crevases with brake parts cleaner, reassemble and you should be good to go. If this didn't work it will be probably be necessary to rebuild the carb. If I missed something one of the real mechanics will post to help further. Refer to the photo below. Have a good one . Geo
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...c_bowl_nut.jpg

 
Search this Thread