Ariens ST 504- belt drive

Old 11-12-08, 02:00 PM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ariens ST 504- belt drive

Hi!
My name Is Michael and I live in Sweden (Europe).
English Is not my "mother tongue" this mean that som of my qustion maybe will "sound" funny, and some babel of tongues will maybe emerge.
Anyway- I have to change the belt drive on my Ariens ST 504, I wonder how that will make out effortless.
I mean the belt that propel the Impeller.

Michael

Old 11-12-08, 02:20 PM
I
Micheal, can you find the Ariens model number? It should look like 924087, 932075. If you can find those numbers, then you can download the service manual from ariens.com. When you get there, click on "customer service" then "owner manual downloads". you will need model number & serial number. You can choose from 3 languages: English, French, Spanish.

Old 11-12-08, 02:54 PM
V
Hi!
Thank you for your fast answer.

I already have the repair and service manual, I think the manuals not show exact how to do the job, the manuals are universal.
I'm not unfamiliar with engines, the reason for my question Is to determin any "wrong way" that will cause any unnecessary time consumption.

Michael

Old 11-12-08, 03:48 PM
S
Without the model number this is generic method for most Ariens.

1) remove chute control rod from auger, should be a 1/2" nut.

2) Tip machine back on handlebars.

3) Remove plastic belt cover, should be 2 (3/8") bolts

4) There should be 2 (9/16") bolts close to front of belt cover. Remove these and machine will "split" meaning auger will drop down, exposing belts. The Auger belt is a loose belt and should slip off easily. Install new belt and reverse above work.

Hopefully this makes sense, good luck

Old 11-12-08, 05:01 PM
V
Hi!
I'm at work right now, I will post the model number tomorrow. I was looking at my ST 504 before going to work and I don't remember that I could see the (9/16") bolts close to front of belt cover.
I recon that I have to "split" the shaft and also remowe the auger housing before I could take away the belt

Old 11-13-08, 04:52 AM
S
On some models one of the bolts is under the plastic belt cover. Very straight forward job, less than 20 minutes.

Post model number and we'll have a look

Old 11-13-08, 06:14 AM
When i first changed a belt on my new ST724,i removed the two top bolts, and loosened the two bottom bolts,then rotated the handle bars to the ground. To my shock the bucket separated from the frame.Aghhhhh!

It turns out on this model anyway,that the two bottom bolts are in a slotted grove in the bucket so that lowering the handle bars to the ground flips apart the bucket and frame. A PITA to get both pieces back together again. Poor design by Arien's here.

I talked to my dealer about what i did wrong,and he said he just rotates the two sections enough to service. So i mention this so as to be cautious

Old 11-13-08, 08:06 AM
S
By lowering handle bars 1st it allows the bucket to drop as it is "hooked" onto the tractor and they do not completely separate. Then you simply lift bucket and replace bolts. removing bolts the other way often the tractor leans forward and tractor and bucket completely separate and yes then in can be a mild PIA.

I hope this makes sense

Old 11-13-08, 08:31 AM
smallengineguy and vagkung,

Sorry for piggy-backing here.

I just went out and rolled the machine back on its handle bars,and saw that your method is better. Now i could get at the 2 9/16" bolts bottom ones, as before i had to remove the wheels to get to those to loosen.

I have two more questions please. Does tipping the engine back cause any problems with fluids being at a different position?,and do i understand you correctly that when i rotate the bucket it just swings down,and rests on the two bottom bolts?
Thanks

Old 11-13-08, 09:09 AM
S
Fluids are not an issue, and yes it will rest on bottom 2 bolts

Old 11-13-08, 09:54 AM
Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions

Old 11-13-08, 01:48 PM
V
Hi again!
Model number is 932006.
I try to down load the repair manual again from Ariens.com, and this time I was able to geth the whole manual .

The manual say - remove top screws and loosen lower screws that secure impeller housing to frame on each side and tip tractor and impeller housing apart.

That sound easy, but I wonder if this method are the ultimate way to change the belt?
I ask because study some of the answer indicate that this method could cause PIA:moonu: or do I understand the answers wrongly?

Last question- I could not see in the manual that the impeller shaft will "split" from pulley with this method, and that is an condition for take away the belt.
Or do I have to take away some other parts before the belt will go of?

Thank you all for helping me with my ST 504.

Michael

Old 11-13-08, 02:27 PM
S
Only a PIA (IF) you do not rest machine back on handlebars.

Pulley will not split from shaft, once machine splits you can slip belt off the pulley and place new on on. There is a belt brake that you have to release to remove and install belt, it is spring operated all you have to do is push down with your hand.

Follow directions and it will be an easy job.

Good luck

Old 11-13-08, 05:09 PM
V
Ok - I will remove top screws and loosen lower screws, thereafter I will rest machine back on handlebars and hopefully everything will be just fine.

I will return with result next week. Now it's time for a few Beer 4U2

Old 11-13-08, 05:24 PM
S
Rest machine on handlebars FIRST. Then remove screws, then have more beer.

Old 11-14-08, 08:47 AM
V
Hi again!
Wasn't that hard to do

But now the new belt seems to be a little bit to short.
I couldn't geth the auger to be "released", Its in constant drift and I don't understand how to adjust the Idler away (reverse) from the belt.
Its an original belt with right lenght according to my Ariens dealer.
And yes, I have assemble the belt the wat It should

Michael

Old 11-14-08, 09:17 AM
S
If you llo at the pulley, there should 1 bolt holding it on. On most if you loosen you can adjust. If you cannot, be sure you put the "belt fingers" back on and positioned properly. The purpose of the fingers is to "squeeze" the belt a little so as to bring belt up and off of engine pulley when disengaged. Without these adjusted properly the belt will make contact with the pulley enough to turn augers slightly.

Old 11-15-08, 03:32 AM
V
Hi again!

The Idler are adjusted backwards as much as possible. The so called belt fingers are already squeeze the belt the way you say.
I think the belt are to much stiff and inflexible because it's new, I think It will be just fine after 2 or 3 times of throwing snow. I could hold the auger without any appreciable force and simultaneous pull the starter. (obvious with the spark plug in no working order).

Thank you all for helping me with my US made Ariens 504, I hope I can return If I need more help.

CURRAHEE 101:st

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: