Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Briggs & Stratton Twin Shakes & Shudders

FL

11-13-08, 06:04 AM   #1  
Briggs & Stratton Twin Shakes & Shudders

I have a Murray lawn tractor with a B&S 16.5 HP twin, Model # 42E707,Type # 2631E1, manufactured 1999. It just developed a shake & shudder when starting and stopping. It runs very well (and smooth) at idle and all RPMs above idle. I am hoping someone may have an idea how to troubleshoot this problem, as it sounds like it will turn into an even bigger problem soon!!!

Thanks in advance, Dennis

Sponsored Links

NH

11-13-08, 07:30 AM   #2  
check the blades. could have 1 loose or slightly bent. could also have a bent pulley.

FL

11-13-08, 11:02 AM   #3  
Not blades or pulleys....

Mower is not engaged when engine starts or stops.....

AL

11-13-08, 07:11 PM   #4  
My twin did something similar. It would run rough at times then backfire when turned off. I'd bet on the carb being clogged. Run some gas mixed with carb cleaner. Also drain the float bowl. With the drain bolt removed you should be able to find the threaded jet with an allen wrench. Remove the jet and spray the hole with carb spray. You may have to repeat the cleaning several times.

I worked on mine off and on for over a year. I was ready to rebuild the carb when someone on here told me the trick about the threaded jet. Also, mine didn't have a fuel filter originally. It does now!

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

11-13-08, 09:41 PM   #5  
This sounds to me like the engine mounting bolts are loose. Does it make noise right at the moment you engage the blades? Tighten the 4 engine bolts and I'll bet this problem goes away.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

FL

11-17-08, 07:53 AM   #6  
Cheese....you're the winner....!!!

You were right about the motor mounts causing the shaking and shuddering. I was able to tighten each bolt about a half turn, and that solved the problem!!!

Thanks for sharing your experience!!!

Dennis

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

11-17-08, 08:11 PM   #7  
Glad I could help, and thanks for the update!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread