Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Huffy Rider Mower - needs carburetor adjustment

11-14-08, 02:05 PM   #1  
Huffy Rider Mower - needs carburetor adjustment

I have a 8 HSP Huffy Lawnmower with a Briggs & Stratton engine Module #190705 type 0823 01 Code 73030511. It has been used a handful of times over the last 20 years.

Originally, there had been a significant gas leak seemingly coming from the carburetor bowl. I found a leak at the gas turnoff valve, so replaced that along with the hose, clamps, and needle valve. There continues to be a slight leakage of gas at the needle valve. The mower wouldn't start without changing the setting on the needle valve. With the choke all the way on, it runs & misses some. While trying to lower the control lever, it stalls out. At one point when I increased the needle valve {probably too much}, it had a massive backfire, glow and smoke. Can you please give some advice on how to adjust the needle valve, as well as the other settings so that engine speed can be lowered.

Thanks very much.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

11-14-08, 08:38 PM   #2  
Sounds to me like the carburetor needs to be cleaned. I'd suggest replacing the inlet needle as well, since the needle not seating is where the leak is coming from.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

11-15-08, 05:29 PM   #3  
Thanks very much for your response. The carburetor was removed and cleaned two years ago, and was only started twice since that time, and both times all of the gas leaked out, so there shouldn't have been a residue.

There are two screws on the top of the carburetor near the engine. Can you please tell me which of them is the inlet valve?

Should I return the needle valve adjustment to the positon it was in when I bought it? However, the only way it started, was when I loosened the needle valve. Should I also try adjusting the other two screw heads? Which one would remedy the problem of it stalling just as soon as I touch the lever to move it from the "choke" position, and in which direction should I turn it?

Really appreciate your guidance. Many thanks.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

11-15-08, 06:38 PM   #4  
I don't think you're going to fix the carb by making adjustments. If the carb has been sitting for 2 years, you can pretty well bet it needs cleaning. Neither of those screws is the inlet valve. The inlet needle valve is not accessible from outside the carb. You're going to have to open it up if you want to fix it.

God bless!

11-18-08, 09:45 AM   #5  
Thanks very much for your advice. As the carburetor needs to be taken off, would you recommend that it be rebuilt? If so, can you please provide a discount source to buy the kit?

Many thanks.

God bless!

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

11-19-08, 01:21 AM   #6  
I don't buy parts online, but there are several places that sell the kits. Your local small engine shop should have one in stock as well.

I'd say go ahead and rebuild it, but it may just need a good cleaning and a new inlet needle. A rebuild with new gaskets, needle, and a float would certainly not hurt it at all.

God bless!

Search this Thread