Poulan Pro 330

Old 11-15-08, 12:49 PM
Poulan Pro 330

My Poulan chainsaw quit while cutting , I thought it was out of gas but it had gas so once back in the shop I checked for spark , which it has . pullrd plug & it was wet , so I know its getting gas & spark but it just wont even fire with a shot of starting fluid. Blew out combustion chamber with air, dried off plug & tried again .....nothing ! it just wont fire . I should note when this saw was new ( 2 hrs. of run time ) it wouldnt start & I took it in under warrenty , they said the head was loose , its acting the same way ,

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-08, 01:23 PM
The head and cylinder are integral parts = one thing that bolts onto a crankcase. Then the crank mounts between the two components with rubber mounts that have the crank bearings and the seal for the crankcase. If that bolting point had become loose, you have a huge air leak in the crankcase which would kill the engine. And, even worse the engine could fly apart at the crank.

You can disassemble it to get to the allen bolts that hold it together and check them.

How many hours do you have on the saw? Does it feel like it has good compression when you pull on the starter rope?

Old 11-15-08, 04:40 PM
It is 4 years old so hours on it ....eh, hard to say ,but probably at least 30-40 hrs. each season . With my finger in plug hole there is compression & suction but I dont know whats expected, I guess my feeling is its a tad weak .I could fabricate a hook up to fit my automotive compression gauge but I still dont know comp- would be on this engine . I am looking at a blow up of my saw & I think I see what you are talking about ....correct me if I'm wrong ......the bolts that hold the two crank case halfs together could be loose ????

Old 11-15-08, 05:09 PM
Yeah, if that's what happened the first time, that's the only place you'd have what you would call a loose head. I guess I wouldn't think of it in that way, though. You could have some other things vibrated loose, like the carb manifold. A lot of that stuff, though usually doesn't just vibrate loose and kill the engine.

If you had a lack of compression, it will normally start hard or not at all. That usually goes with scored cylinders and a few hours on them, at least in the Pro Line. Those have the chromed cylinders. The Poulans with standard cylinders sometimes won't get much out of the box and the cylinders score and are done. That usually goes with hot weather running and they freeze up.

First, pull off the exhaust muffler/spark arrestor and look inside the cylinder. See if the piston/rings and cylinder look like they have any scoring. Also when you pull on the starter rope you should have a lot of resistance on the compression stroke = every time around. I know it's hard to decide on that alone without some reference to go by, but if you have the compression it needs, the engine really lobs around. If you have 160 running hours on it, you could be out of compression. Even though a chainsaw has a flywheel, it pretty well runs on the impetus of the power stroke. If that was a lawnmower, the blade helps get it to the next rev.

As far as the crank bolts coming loose, I just haven't had any of those come apart down at the crankcase, but I can't say it's not happening.

Old 11-17-08, 04:58 PM
I have seen the crankcase bolts come out and have had one or two missing. It's certainly worth looking at. If the bolts are loose one of the crankcase seals could have come out, and a 2-cycle will not even fart with a large air leak.