Ariens Snowblower seized after servicing

Old 11-16-08, 05:38 AM
Ariens Snowblower seized after servicing

I recently purchased a used Ariens 932006 snowblower with the Tecumseh HS50 engine. I purchased it in good running condition. The guy started it when I looked at it for the first time, then again when I picked it up.

The engine ran perfect, but there was a problem with the drive gear. When I brought the machine home, I tipped it forward on the auger and took apart the axle to replace the plastic drive gear (missing a few teeth). The part took a little longer to arrive than I expected and I accidentally left the snowblower tilted forward for about a week. When I came out to finish the job, I was welcomed by a considerable puddle of oil that looked like it came from the carb.

After I cleaned up the mess and threw the new gear on, the engine will not budge. The recoil only comes out about 4" before it halts. It doesn't appear to be a recoil issue because the output shaft will not budge either. I have checked the belts to make sure the attachments weren't locked or binding.

I'm looking for advice for my next step. I've looked through some threads on here and searched Google but I have returned with nothing that matches my situation. The motor ran perfectly one week and seized the next. The ONLY thing that changed was it being on its front side for a week.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-08, 06:10 AM
Apparently engine oil ran past the rings and filled the cyl and now it's hydralocked. Remove the spark plug and see if a large quantity of oil blows out when you crank it. If so,crank it 8 or 10 times to blow out all the oil possible.
Then ground plug wire so it can't make a spark, put 2 tblsp of gas in the cyl and crank it several times to flush oil gas mix out.
Replace plug and see if it will start.
HTH,
Mike

Old 11-16-08, 09:00 AM
Sounds like hydralocked to me to. Do as mla2ofus says.
Let us know how you make out.

Old 11-16-08, 05:33 PM
I agree with the above, and it's a simple fix, just remove the plug and get the oil out from on top of the cylinder. Do NOT start the engine until you have replaced the missing oil in the crankcase to the proper level.

Old 11-17-08, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the advice. It makes sense.

I removed the spark plug and saw a little bit of oil coating the top of the piston. Not any kind of puddle or anything. However, I'm still not getting it to crank when I pull the starter rope. It seems something is still bound up.

Would it be plausible that the recoil assembly is locked up? I believe that is my next step. This is turning into a bigger project than I was hoping for lol

Old 11-21-08, 03:08 PM
Beer 4U2

Problem has been corrected!

I removed the recoil assembly and used a ratchet and socket to break everything loose. After that, I cranked it over by hand a few times with the muffler removed to blow out all the gas/oil I could. Put it all back together and she started on the 3rd pull. After smoking out the neighborhood for a few minutes and stalling a few times, she was back to running normal.

Thanks to everyone for the help!

Old 11-21-08, 03:28 PM
Glad to hear it. Thanks for posting back

Old 11-23-08, 04:41 AM
Yeah, but.....

I removed the recoil assembly and used a ratchet and socket to break everything loose.
You don't mention weather you had the plug out when all this was going on, but forcing the engine with your tools while the cylinder is full of oil and the spark plug is still in is a great way to 'break everything' loose. You risk bending the rod and/or twisting the crank that way. I have also seen cracked piston skirts from that method.

If you had the plug out and still had to force the engine loose, your problems may not be over. Rings rusted to the cylinder can be overcome with force but will not be cured with that method. If the engine now runs without smoking, you are probably alright, but if you start to notice smoking during operation, the rings may be stuck in the piston and the cylinder wall may have some damage from the rust. Likely not worth tearing it down now, just run it 'til the situation becomes clear.