Snapper Snowthrower Won't Move

Old 11-16-08, 04:34 PM
Snapper Snowthrower Won't Move

Hello,

I have a Snapper Model 10301 10HP 30” Two Stage Snowthrower. Serial # is 73207834. I pulled it out for the winter and the traction drive was not working. I removed the bottom cover and the drive tire attached to the traction drive chain case was not turning. This is the tire that is driven when engaged by the left handle lever and then engages in a perpendicular fashion to the pulley driven by the engine belt. I didn’t think much of it and bought a new drive tire even through there was plenty of tread left on the tire. The new one did not work either so I put the old one back on. Upon further inspection, I noticed that the tread of the drive tire contacts the wheel axle when engaged which seems to be the reason why it is not turning. For the life of me I can not figure out how to get the clearance I need to allow it to free up. Everything turns easily when I turn the tire by hand. Everything seems to be in a fixed position with no adjustment or alignment possibilities. The drive tire is attached to the chain case assembly, the chain case assembly rides on the hex shaft which turns the wheel axle by means of a gear pairing. It looks like I need to get the traction drive chain case higher up to clear the wheel axle or move the pulley to which it engages toward the back. Again, it looks like both are in fixed positions. Has anyone run into this before and am I missing something? Can the pulley driven by the crankshaft pulley be adjusted to bring it more towards the rear?

Manuals, parts lists, etc. are all available here to get a better idea of what I am trying to explain.

Snapper Operator's Manuals, Set-Up Instructions, Illustrated Parts Lists

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thx,

Joe

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-08, 05:59 PM
Joe,

With the machine in gear the wheels should turn freely. When you squeeze the right hand lever, rubber friction wheel should make contact with speed disk (pulley) and wheels should not turn. If this is not the case you should be able to adjust the cable on the right side by repositioning the "z" at the end to make cable tighter. To trouble shoot a little further follow that cable to where it attaches at the bottom and try pulling up on the lever it connects to and see if friction wheel makes contact with speed disk "pulley"

Old 11-17-08, 05:24 AM
Hello smallengineguy,

Thanks for the feedback. On my model, the traction engagement hand lever is on the left side. I can see that the issue is that the rubber friction wheel does not turn due to the fact that it is coming into contact with the wheel axle. I looked from the top nand bottom and, depending on the view, sometimes it looks like the friction wheel contacts or does not contact the speed disk (pulley). It clearly looks like it is getting bound up on the wheel axle and there is not enough clearance. This keeps the rubber friction wheel from contacting the spped disk.

Thx,

Joe

Old 11-17-08, 01:48 PM
Snapper

Joe
You must have a worn out bearing on the main wheel axle. There should be no up or down movement in the axle.

AJ

Old 11-18-08, 07:51 AM
Hello AJ,

The wheel axle is tight and there is no up and down movement on the wheel axle. I Pulled everything apart, lubed up the chain case and all gears, replaced the hex shart bearing as it was suspect. As soon as I squeeze the left hand lever to engae the drive mechanism, the chain case assembly moves forward to aloow the drive tire to engage with the pulley, just as this is about to happen, the drive tire engages with the wheel axle. i just can't figure out how to adjust anything to get the clearance I need.

Thx,

Joe