Echo Chainsaw CS345

Old 11-18-08, 02:36 PM
Echo Chainsaw CS345

Customer brought me this chainsaw for repair,it would not start.I put a new carb.kit and now it will run wide open,it will not idle.I replaced the fuel line,carb. mounting gasket,the carb. adaptor is tight looks fine no cracks.I know it has a air leak,unable to find it.Could it be the crankshaft seals,if so how so you go about checking them.The throttle is free not binding,I can screw the idle screw away from the shaft,and makes no difference.I also turn the high and low open to richer mixture.

Thanks
Jerry

Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-08, 05:46 PM
Sounds like there may be an issue with the throttle shaft or throttle linkage and or plate in the carburetor. You may want to remove the carburetor and inspect all the throttle components to make sure they are assembled correctly and operating properly. If it runs good at high speed then I doubt it's an air leak causing your problem, if it dies and will not idle then it may be an air leak.

Make sure the handle with the throttle trigger on the saw is mounted correctly to the saw body (torn buffer) as this can also cause the engine to run fast all the time.

Old 11-18-08, 05:52 PM
you're going to have to pressure test the crankcase. echo makes a kit with the proper block off plates, gauge, and pump.
more than likely you have a bad crank seal.

Old 11-19-08, 02:11 PM
Question

I took the carb. off 3 times and look at the throttle,the trigger looks fine,no binding.The saw does not die,at all,it will start on the fist pull.When I squeeze the trigger the saw will run faster,but when I let off the trigger the chain will not stop.Could it have a bad clutch,it so I do you check for that.

Thanks,
Jerry

Old 11-19-08, 03:13 PM
It's possible that the clutch may have a broken spring, allowing the chain to turn all the time.

The idle should be able to set low enough that the engine would die, so there must be a reason that the throttle is not closing all the way.

Old 11-19-08, 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by jsouth View Post
I took the carb. off 3 times and look at the throttle,the trigger looks fine,no binding.The saw does not die,at all,it will start on the fist pull.When I squeeze the trigger the saw will run faster,but when I let off the trigger the chain will not stop.Could it have a bad clutch,it so I do you check for that.

Thanks,
Jerry
now you're describing a different problem. is the saw not able to idle or is the chain moving at idle ? a high setting on the low mix screw and the idle stop will cause the chain to move but will allow the engine to rev up to operating speed. week clutch springs will allow the chain to creep and or move but is not very common. is the clutch intact ?

Old 11-20-08, 04:20 PM
I adjusted the low mixture screw,counterclock wise and it did not slow the chain down.The only way I could stop the chain was to put it on half choke.Customer came to pick it up,said someone gave him the saw,and he did not want to spend much on it.Thank ya'll for all your replies.

Jerry