Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Honda GX160 fuel shutoff valve doesn't work.

GA

11-22-08, 02:09 AM   #1  
Honda GX160 fuel shutoff valve doesn't work.

What do I have to replace to get it to work?

The parts breakdown doesn't show anything other than the petcock lever and a gasket.

Roger

Sponsored Links

11-22-08, 04:55 AM   #2  
the parts should be available but you could just install a cheap inline valve.

MO

11-22-08, 04:00 PM   #3  
Have you checked it with the fuel line removed or just shutting the fuel off and waiting for the engine to stop, if waiting for the engine to stop, it can take a while for the engine to use the available fuel in the system which can seem as though the shutoff is not working. Have a good one. Geo

GA

11-23-08, 02:03 AM   #4  
The valve appears to be built into the carburetor, so there's no way to disconnect the outlet side to test it.

I let the engine run for several minutes at a moderate speed with the valve 'off'. I couldn't tell any change in the way it was running.

I'll just leave it 'off' the next time I run it to see if it ever quits.

I'd like to be able to shut the valve so I can get all the fuel out of the carburetor before I put it away.

I don't know if I need to replace a gasket, or if the petcock lever is actually the part with the sealing feature.

Here's the gasket set for the carburetor:

The diagrams seem to show the one with the four holes goes in the valve, but I can't tell for sure.

Roger

11-23-08, 05:04 AM   #5  
Posted By: rogerflies I let the engine run for several minutes at a moderate speed with the valve 'off'. I couldn't tell any change in the way it was running.
Roger

my generator and log splitter take at least two minutes to run down and that's at operating speed. would take much longer at mid range or idle. you could test it by removing the fuel seperator bowl or the float bowl drain screw to look for the flow to stop.

TX

11-23-08, 08:47 AM   #6  
Yes, you are correct. The gasket with the 4 holes is the one that goes into the fuel valve. Your engine can run for quite some time with no load before it empties the float bowl of fuel.

Search this Thread