Leafblower won't start

Old 11-23-08, 04:53 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Leafblower won't start

Craftsman 200mph leaf blower is about 8 years old. Fuel tank was empty for about 3 weeks since I last used it, then filled the tank with fresh gas. I immediately realized I never mxed the oil (40:1) with the gas, so I mixed a little oil right in the tank. blower ran for about 10 minutes, then cut off. My first instinct is that I seized the engine. I dumped the fuel, added fresh gas (mixed with oil this time) but it still won't start. sounds like everything is moving when I pull the starter, just doesn't start. I DID also notice that when I push the primer button, it is VERY HARD to push, as if the fuel isn't moving into the carb. Can this be a blocked/clogged line? seems odd since it WAS running, and not sure if the gas without oil played a part. Don't want to buy a new blower if I don't have to.

Thanks!

Old 11-23-08, 05:09 AM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
you added oil to the fuel tank? i would take a wild guess that the mixture was way over the top with oil and you fouled the plug. not sure why the primer would decide to go south. take a look at the plug for dark soot type fouling and spark. while it's out drop some fuel in the cylinder , install the plug and try to start it.

Old 11-23-08, 06:50 AM
D
Yeah, I was too lazy to dump the fuel and properly mix it, so just added a little to the tank. Sometimes I am a genius!! Will take a look at the plug and report back. Also I never changed the plug in eight years...Can the plug be cleaned, or should I just go out and get a new one?

Old 11-23-08, 08:56 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Spark plugs are not that expensive, so I would just get a new one rather then spend any time cleaning one that still may not work when cleaned. The primer could be hard to push due to a stuck or sticking check valve in the carburetor.

Old 11-23-08, 03:28 PM
D
Replaced the spark plug, still won't start. Sounds like it's just about to start though. Before I changed the spark plug, it actually almost started, let out a few chugs, and that was it.

Could a too-rich mixture have caused the check valve to stick? and stay stuck? How do I check this valve, do I need to take the whole carb apart?

Old 11-23-08, 04:38 PM
Sears Model Number??

It may be low compression, flooded, plugged exhaust, or some debris under a reed valve (if so equipped) among other things, causing your issue. Post your model number and we can get a little more specific on what to check.

Old 11-23-08, 06:17 PM
D
Craftsman Model# 358.797550

Just below the serial# & Model# I see the following statement:
"Durability period - 50 hours".
Does that indicate this machine should only last this long?? never noticed it before.

Old 11-23-08, 06:42 PM
That is the period of usage that this unit is rated to maintain compliance with E.P.A. and C.A.R.B. exhaust emissions. This does not mean the unit will be dead within this rating.

This unit is a ported model, I would suggest removing the muffler and checking the spark arresting screen. I would also inspect the piston and cylinder condition from the exhaust port and look for any excessive carbon build up in the exhaust port. Check for loose carburetor and insulator mountings and check the cylinder to make sure it's good and tight as well.

Unfortunately this is not one of the better blowers available and unless the problem is something fairly minor, it's probably not going to be very cost effective to repair. Hopefully the issue is one of the above listed and can be taken care of easily.

Best of Luck...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: