Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Rewinding Recoil Starter

11-23-08, 12:24 PM   #1  
Rewinding Recoil Starter

hey all:

This is my first post, but i thought I'd share a tip I just figured out regarding pull (recoil) starters. I went out to snow blow this afternoon, and my cord broke - luckily I have an electric start as well, so I was able to start it even though the cord broke.

Anyway, here's what I did. The snow blower I have is a Tecumseh 8.5 HP, for which the recoil is mounted to the engine vertically and held in place with 4 10mm nuts.

My cord broke right at the pulley of the recoil, so I had a long legth of cord with the pull start handle.

Once the recoil is on the bench, take and rewind the spring by hand - for mine it was counter-clockwise, and I wound it about 7 turns. You can tell if you're going the right way, as you will feel the spring's resisitance.

Now, take a small screwdriver, and put it through one of the holes in the cover to hold the spring. This was easy on mine, sine there was some webbing between the sping hub and the pulley the cord is wrapped on.

I had to pull out the broken piece of cord from the pulley, a pair of needle nose pliers aided in this.

For my recoil starter, it was easier to thread the new cord from the center of the pully out, rather than feeding it from the outside inward.

Now, here's the trick. Cut the frayed end of the cord with a new razor blade, so you get a nice clean cut. Now, take some super glue (not the gel type, but the liquid type) and coat the end that you just cut - let it absorb into the end and coat about 1/4" of the cord.

Then you need to wipe away the excess - I used the cardboard protector from the new safety razor that I used to cut the cord. Twist the cord in the cardboard while pressing to form a nice round, hard end.

Once the crasy glue is dry, I took a small pair of needle nose pliers and worked the hard end through the hole, and out of the housing. Make sure you have a solid knot on the end of the cord - a little crazy glue on the not will assure it won't come loose.

Finally, thead the hard end through the pull handle, and tie another knot in the end. Release the spring (being held by the screwdriver) and the cord should rewind itself!

I did this all in about 20 minutes!

John

Sponsored Links

TX

11-23-08, 12:57 PM   #2  
Hi John and welcome to diy.

Another way to take care of the rope if you don't have any super glue is to heat the rope with a match, lighter or small propane torch. Starter rope is made from nylon rope, so you can melt the end, just take an old rag and you can form the end of the rope while it's still hot. Be sure not to use your bare hand or you will get a good little burn on your fingers.

12-19-08, 11:55 AM   #3  
Posted By: 30yearTech Hi John and welcome to diy.

Another way to take care of the rope if you don't have any super glue is to heat the rope with a match, lighter or small propane torch. Starter rope is made from nylon rope...
Nope - mine was not made of nylon - mine was actually rope. I tried the match trick - it just burned. That's why I used the Krazy Glue.

Search this Thread