Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Honda GX160 horizontal engine has uneven mounting base

GA

11-24-08, 06:22 AM   #1  
Honda GX160 horizontal engine has uneven mounting base

The base of the used Honda GX160 horizontal shaft engine I recently bought has an uneven mounting base. The corner nearest the carburetor looks like it has a slight extension (like a washer) cast into the boss around the bottom of the bolt hole. It's about 0.015" lower than the other three corners, and it rocks slightly when I set the engine on a flat surface.

Is it supposed to be like this? I can't think of any reason for it to be that way.

What should I do about it? It wouldn't be that hard to just file it off so it's flat, but maybe there's a better way?

Anyone seen this before?

Roger

Sponsored Links

TX

11-24-08, 11:09 AM   #2  
I have never noticed this on these engines before, but honestly most of the ones I work on are installed on equipment and I rarely take them off to work on them.

I don't think it would hurt anything to file it down, but you could also just shim the other three mounting positions when you mount the engine too. .015" is not that much difference, once mounted it probably would not cause any issues.

Search this Thread