H70 Tecumseh Alternator

Old 11-24-08, 12:30 PM
H70 Tecumseh Alternator

ok I am installing an electric starter (Tecumseh 29965) to my Tecumseh H70-130205D engine. I am going to have a 12v battery that is charged using the AC stator inside the flywheel by having a rectifier in line to the battery. My Question is that I am not sure if this engine has a alternator (stator) and i dont want to pull the flywheel all the way off.

Thanks Ricky

Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-08, 12:54 PM
Specs says it has a 7 amp DC alternating coil. This is usualy used for a head light. Not sure if there is enough to recharge and keep charged the battery. That is why they use a 120V starter.

Old 11-24-08, 01:30 PM
do you know where you found these specs on the internet. AS I would like to see. but thats Great information. The Starter motor (12v) can be used on the H70

thanks Ricky

Old 11-25-08, 01:47 PM
another qeustion I have is what size battery should I use for the tecumseh 29965 starter. 12volts but how many amps?

Thanks Ricky

Old 11-25-08, 05:45 PM
7 amps is more then sufficient to recharge a battery, the real issue is that you need to have a voltage regulator in order to taper the charge to prevent the battery from being over charged.

The size of battery all depends upon how much reserve you want. The smallest tractor battery will crank over the engine with plenty to spare (125 cca) most 12 volt small engine starters require around 9 - 12 amps to crank the engine over.

Old 11-25-08, 07:00 PM
Ok thanks so I would need a 12 volt Battery with 9-12 amps.
What if i have a battery with 7AH but it dosnt say the amperage how do i go about that.

Also I know i need a Rectifier to change the stators voltage to DC and then a regulator to limit overcharging the battery but my question is how do i attach the stator. I have tried removing the flywheel to have alook under the flywheel but havent got that to work becuase i cant get the flywheel off so i dont even know if there is a stator under the flywheel. So i realy gutta try and get the flywheel off. Ther isnt anywhere to atach a flywheel puller so even thow not recomended ill try to use a gear puller.

Thanks Ricky

Old 11-25-08, 07:33 PM
You would need a battery that is capable of delivering at least 9 - 12 cranking amps. You would need to know the CA rating of the battery you want to use. If your engine is equipped with an alternator, there should be wires coming out from under the flywheel to supply the AC power to a rectifier/regulator assembly. On Tecumseh engines there are generally three small holes near the center for a flywheel puller to be bolted on to remove the flywheel. I gear type puller can damage the flywheel.

Old 11-25-08, 07:54 PM
Flywheel

According to the parts lookup I have there isn't an alternator on your engine. if you do pull the flywheel don't loosen the stator plate as this will change the timing. If you need to replace the points & condenser you will need to re time the ignition. Here is a picture of the pullers that Tecumseh recommends:

Old 11-25-08, 08:03 PM
Could you please tell me where you found the parts list for this engine as I cannot find anything and I have looked over numerous engine manuals but nothing about my engine. If there is no stator then is it possible to attacha stator under the flywheel or something.

Also how many amp hours are in one amp becasue all the batteries i have seen are rated in amp hours.

Thanks for all your help so far (i proboly have asked alot of bad questions)

Ricky

Old 11-25-08, 08:10 PM
Alright, so I went and looked at the IPL for this engine as well and I don't see an alternator for this spec number either. If this is the case, you will need a new flywheel in addition to the alternator in order to charge a battery. This will be quite expensive. I would recommend just periodically charging the battery used for starting with an external charger.

Has your engine ever had an electric starter on it? If not, then your flywheel likely does not have the ring gear on it.

http://www.partstree.com/parts/ for Tecumseh IPL's

Old 11-25-08, 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by 30yearTech View Post
Alright, so I went and looked at the IPL for this engine as well and I don't see an alternator for this spec number either. If this is the case, you will need a new flywheel in addition to the alternator in order to charge a battery. This will be quite expensive. I would recommend just periodically charging the battery used for starting with an external charger.

Has your engine ever had an electric starter on it? If not, then your flywheel likely does not have the ring gear on it.

PartsTree.com - Genuine replacement parts for Toro, Echo, Husqvarna, Cub Cadet, Troy Bilt, Lawn Boy (Lawnboy), lawn equipment (lawn mowers, saws, blowers, trimmers, snow blowers) and Tecumseh, Kohler and Briggs and Stratton Engines. for Tecumseh IPL's

Ok thanks so much for that website. The engine it self has never had an electric start on it (as far as i know) but it has a ring gear and has a mounting area for the starter.

So then i gusse it would need to be externally charged. Now cranking amps is that the same thing as amps or no. I was mostly trying to take the flywheel off to see if the engine had a stator.

Old 11-26-08, 06:02 AM
Cranking amps is the amount of amperage the battery is capable of delivering, Amp hour is a storage rating. Different type of batteries as well as manufacturers rate their batteries differently.

CCA rating is a standardized rating and stands for Cold Cranking Amps. The definition of the Cold-Cranking Amperage (CCA) of an automotive battery is the amount of current a given battery can deliver for 30 seconds at zero (0) degrees F without dropping below a specified cutoff voltage (usually 10.5 volts).

Old 11-26-08, 08:10 AM
You would need a battery that is capable of delivering at least 9 - 12 cranking amps. You would need to know the CA rating of the battery you want to use. If your engine is equipped with an alternator, there should be wires coming out from under the flywheel to supply the AC power to a rectifier/regulator assembly. On Tecumseh engines there are generally three small holes near the center for a flywheel puller to be bolted on to remove the flywheel. I gear type puller can damage the flywheel.
I whent on the internet to try and find a 12volt battery with 9-12 cranking amps but i cant find anything.

Ricky

Old 11-26-08, 02:02 PM
What type of application is the engine going to be used for?

What space limitations do you have as far as the battery is concerned?

A Lawn and Garden tractor battery will be the least expensive choice, but there are quite a few gel cell type batteries that can be used as well. Let me know what you are looking for, and I can suggest some options for you.

Old 11-26-08, 04:44 PM
What type of application is the engine going to be used for?

What space limitations do you have as far as the battery is concerned?

A Lawn and Garden tractor battery will be the least expensive choice, but there are quite a few gel cell type batteries that can be used as well. Let me know what you are looking for, and I can suggest some options for you.
I am using the enginge to power a gokart. AS far as limitations for the battery i dont think there is too much space limitations (proboly not as big as a car battery.)

Old 11-26-08, 06:08 PM
Lawn Mower Battery — 12 Volt, Group U1L, Model# 9U1L | Mower Accessories | Northern Tool + Equipment

You can find one like this at many auto parts stores, Wal-Mart, etc.. they usuall run around $20.00 + core and depending on where you live there may be a recycle fee. You don't need a 275 cca battery, but they will last longer between recharging.
The dimensions for this battery are listed so you can tell if it will fit your kart.