replacing a spark plug wire?

Old 11-27-08, 03:34 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
replacing a spark plug wire?

an item fell off the shelf and damaged the spark plug wire on my snow thrower. i've searched for a replacement wire and it is only showing the whole unit which is attached to the coil in my parts manual.

is it possible to replace just the plug wire or must i buy the whole unit including the coil which is quite costly? i had seen on one parts site where they sell spark plug wire in 20' lengths which leads me to believe replacing the wire alone can be done but before i go ripping it apart, i would like to be sure that i have everything i need to complete the job.

i never once had to deal with repairing anything on a small engine so i am clueless in this area. of course i have no trouble with the bigger stuff.
thanks for any help!

Old 11-27-08, 08:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
How is it damaged? Cut in two? Generally, the assembly should be replaced since the wire is made to the coil. The wire you see for sale is used in other applications. If the wire just has a cut in the insulation, tape it with electrical tape and if it isn't close enough to metal on the engine, it shouldn't cause a problem. I've seen some plug wires fixed by putting a piece of fuel line over the wire to insulate it.

Old 11-27-08, 09:20 PM
C
the wire is basically cut it two. it got cut through everything but one half out the outer insulation. i wasn't sure how it was attached to the coil to determine if it was possible to replace without having to buy the whole unit.

Old 11-28-08, 05:45 AM
I
NGK used to make a wire slpicer. I used them a couple of time when I worked on snowmobiles. They worked well and saved my customers a lot of $$$$ cuz on snowmobiles they use a CDI/coil combo which runs $200 or more.

Old 11-29-08, 04:01 PM
C
Originally Posted by indypower
NGK used to make a wire slpicer. I used them a couple of time when I worked on snowmobiles. They worked well and saved my customers a lot of $$$$ cuz on snowmobiles they use a CDI/coil combo which runs $200 or more.
thanks for the info!
i've just researched these on some motorcycle and watercraft forums and this it appears that they hold up very well. this should be a very inexpensive way to fix the wire. i got the splicer kit for $8 shipped versus paying around $50 plus shipping for the whole unit. on top of that, i don't have to spend any time tearing down the blower to replace the whole coil assembly. you saved me a bundle plus the time i would have spent making the repair!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: