Where is the drain plug on craftsman?

Old 11-25-08, 03:14 PM
Question Where is the drain plug on craftsman?

I have a craftsman lawn mower engine number 143.956000 and I can't find the oil drain plug. I looked as well as my cousin and can't find it. Can someone help me?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-08, 03:35 PM
It will be underneath the mower. If machine is self propelled you will have to remove blade, adapter and belt housing. You can also tip mower and drain oil out of fill tube, either drain gas or change next time it runs out of gas

Old 11-26-08, 11:53 AM
thanks

thanks for the help! I will check under there!

Old 11-27-08, 04:40 AM
another question about craftsman

I found the drain plug last night. What I had to do was take off the blade, loosen 3 of the 4 bolts holding the motor to the deck so I had enough play to get to the bolt for the oil. They put the bolt so close to the side that you can't get at it untill you twist the motor about and inch. Thanks for the help. This lawnmower was a hand me down so I figured it was time to do some maintanence. I am also going to replace the spark plug and air filter. About how much oil should I put in?

Old 11-27-08, 06:23 AM
Most Tec verticals take 20-21 oz but I am thinking that model is 26? Start with 20 and check, fill to full do not overfill. That engine also has a quirky carb, if you ever need to get one the repair kit is PN 730235B it is the entire bowl kit that just snaps on. Not worth trying to fix existing, just replace with kit.

Old 11-27-08, 06:34 AM
Next time--------buy yourself a " liquiVac " --it sucks the oil out the dipstick tube
works great. No muss--no fuss....................

Old 11-27-08, 09:04 AM
Next time run it out of gas and dump the oil out the filler tube, it saves a lot of hassle. Have a good one. Geo

Old 11-28-08, 04:52 AM
thanks again

Thanks for all the help everyone. I actually have a siphon (spellling) and I did think of that as I was pulling it apart i was wondering if I could just suck out the gas. And you are right I do have a model 26. I pulled the spark plug and air filter and going to change that over too. Its winter time so I won't be using it for a while. I just found this website the other day and I love it!