Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

310 C Backhoe Starting Motor Problems

11-26-08, 12:02 PM   #1  
310 C Backhoe Starting Motor Problems

Hey again. Still fairly new at the mechanic thing but I've run into a huge problem. The shop's backhoe died about 2 weeks ago. It was shut off like normal but never turned back on. We've had trouble with the batteries constantly draining, but even after charging them, nothing. I replaced the starter and solenoid about 4 months ago, so started looking elsewhere. My boss had me buy and install a new starter relay, but again, nothing. We were able to jump the solenoid and get it started, but the starting motor wouldn't shut off and it ended up frying the starter and solenoid. I replaced it yesterday and still nothing. I should mention that when we jumped the solenoid, I could turn the tractor on and off. It appears the ignition switch is working fine. I even had the new starter tested just in case and it works fine. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links

12-01-08, 09:09 AM   #2  
Self help

Ok, so since the batteries have a charge and the starter and ignition works and the relay is brand new, I figure the problem has to be in the wiring. I can order a new engine wiring harness for around $700 and hope it fixes the problem. Does anyone have any less drastic ideas? The only problem I can see with this is that it could possibly be the side console wiring harness but I can't be sure. Thanks in advance.

TN

12-01-08, 11:37 AM   #3  
If this is a John Deere 310C backhoe you are posting about I suggest you find a forum for construction equipment. I do not think you will find help on this forum. I suggest you take it to a John Deere tractor shop before you purchase a $700.00 harness not knowing if that is your problem. If one of my employees replaced a wiring harness at $700 and it did not fix the problem he would be my EX employee.

John Deere Tractors Discussion Board

Tractor/Loader/Backhoes - Heavy Equipment Forums

John Deere Tractors Discussion Forum

12-01-08, 05:02 PM   #4  
does it have a starter interlock ? our Kubota hydrostats have a clutch with a starter interlock that acts up from time to time.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

12-01-08, 07:27 PM   #5  
There are multiple circuits going through an ignition switch, so the fact that it turns the machine on and off doesn't mean it's working. It could be as simple as a bad switch or fuse, or a fusible link. Rarely is a wiring harness the cause of any problem.

Usually when I hear of someone replacing a wiring harness, they are upset about it because it was expensive and labor intensive, and didn't fix anything.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread