Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Oil Leak Near Carb./Engine Runs then quits

11-29-08, 11:55 AM   #1  
Oil Leak Near Carb./Engine Runs then quits

I have a Ariens 932 series I acquired - probably because it doesn't run right - but I can get it to run when the throttle is on "FAST" and on full choke. It starts right up and runs great for about 1 or 2 minutes, then just shuts off. If I wait about 2 or 3 minutes, I can repeat the same process and it will run good again but quit after a minute or so. It will not run at all when not fully choked, or trying to let it idle it will not run either. I've noticed some oil dripping down out of a part just behind the carburator (but not out of the carb) - does anyone know what this is or if this could be the source of the problem? Seems like an air leak somewhere - but oil dripping is no good either.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n...4/IMG_2637.jpg
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n...4/IMG_2638.jpg

Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links

NH

11-29-08, 02:06 PM   #2  
the running problem is an indication of a dirty/clogged carb. It needs to be taken apart & cleaned.

11-29-08, 02:11 PM   #3  
I thought the same thing myself...so I took the carb. completely apart and it looked quite clean to me. The float seem a little bit covered in varnish but the rest of it was pretty immaculate for how old it is.

NH

11-30-08, 05:36 AM   #4  
If the float is covered in varnish, you need to soak the carb in carb cleaner. Spray carb cleaners will not work. Varnish on the float means there is varnish inside the carb in places you can not see. The only way to get the varnish out is by soaking, rinsing, then blowing out ALL the holes with compressed air.
Also soak the main jet (the bolt on the bottom of the carb) as this has a very TINY pinhole in it.

11-30-08, 08:56 AM   #5  
ok - thats easy enough to do - i'll give that a shot. Could this behavior have anything to do with not enough gas even getting to the carburetor? The gas line seemed pretty free flowing to me but again - what seems right to me might not be right for the engine.

Any ideas on what part that is in the pictures I posted? It seems that black circle moves in and out a bit, and when I press on it one end seems to move freely and one is restricted, almost like its a filter of some sort and one end broke - which might explain why some oil is leaking.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

11-30-08, 08:44 PM   #6  
That piece is the crankcase breather. It sounds like it is operating properly. If the oil level is overfull or the engine is revving higher than it should, it may leak or blow some oil out.

I agree that you need to clean the carb at minimum.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread