Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

John Deere 425 front hitch up down won't work??

MI

11-29-08, 01:54 PM   #1  
John Deere 425 front hitch up down won't work??

I own a 1996 John Deere 425. I know nothing about tractors and purchased a front hitch for it this summer off e-bay. I had it hooked up by a friend of mine from work who also changed the oil, spark plugs and fuel filter for me at the same time. I attached the hydraulic coupler kit and angle kit myself. I put the blade on it. I also changed the transmission oil and filter. It used nearly 2 gals. The hydraulic didn't work. So, I realized we forgot to install the hydraulic valve when we installed the front hitch. I just installed the valve and the angle works as the blade goes back and forth but the up down does not work. The transmission oil gauge shows enough oil. What am I doing wrong?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

11-30-08, 08:54 PM   #2  
Does the pump strain when you try to make it go up or down? Are the hoses connected properly? You may have to check pressure at the cylinder and if there is none, you have a valving or hose problem. If you have pressure, the cylinder may have blown packing.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

MI

12-01-08, 05:07 PM   #3  
OK, it's fixed! This tractor has two levers, one operaters the mower deck up down during the summer and is the lever used to make the blade go back and forth (angle) during the winter. The other lever (which has never been used) is for the up down of the blade and I'm assuming here, a snowblower or brush (broom). Anyways, the lower lever had never been used and I had a friend sit on the tractor and operater the upper lever while I was underneath watching. All it took was a tap on the correct link to get the blade to go up and down and by watching while she operated the levers, I was able to see which link to tap. Thanks for everyone's help!!

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

12-01-08, 07:22 PM   #4  
Glad you got it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

PA

12-02-08, 06:53 PM   #5  
I'm not sure how the 425 is set up, but one of your levers if pushed far enough forward will stay forward. That is the lever for up and down. The forward position allows the blade to "float" over bumps in the ground. Pulling it back from the float position will allow you to use full hydraulic down pressure. The other lever is for angling.

MI

12-03-08, 05:54 PM   #6  
THANKS BONTAI JOE, I didn't know it would float, I'll try it soon. I need tire chains to get up my driveway with it - UGH! I had to tow it up tonight about 20 feet with my pu truck. Anyone know how much chains cost for a 425????

PA

12-04-08, 12:38 PM   #7  
Been a few years since I bought chains, back then they were areound $50 +/- let me check... Hmmm. I can't seem to find them on Deere's web site. But I would guess that a new set should still be under $100.

Search this Thread