White snow blower with stuck throttle

Old 11-29-08, 01:58 PM
White snow blower with stuck throttle

I have a White snowblower model SB750 with a Tecumseh engnine. It is 6 years old. Today I went to start it and it started fine, but acts as is the throttle is stuck wide open. As always I primed it, put the choke on and it starts right up, but when it did the engine would not slow down. Once I take the choke off it got much worse and revs REALLY high. Even with the throttle at slow.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-08, 02:19 PM
Take off the "heater box" (or carb cover) and look at the linkages. Sounds like one bent or out of alignment. I had 1 last year that somehow the linkages got bounced up on the intake manifold. Don't know how it happened, but customer ended up needing a new engine as he had seized the crankshaft to the rod.

Old 11-29-08, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. I will take the cover off. Not sure exactly what I'm looking for, but that might give me more clues.

Old 11-29-08, 08:11 PM
Make sure the throttle in the carb isn't stuck open, Old gas can collect around the throttle shaft.. If you haven't touched anything, Nothing should be wrong with any govenor parts... Roger

Old 11-30-08, 07:52 AM
Also, check the throttle control. There is a spring on the control unit (under the lever) that may be broken and not engaging the arm.

Old 11-30-08, 10:43 AM
I think hopkinsr2 hit it right on the money. Once I took that cover off I noticed the arm for the throttle was stuck open. I was able to free that up and it seems to be better. All the springs seem to be there. Looking at the mechanisms I wouldn't think it would work, but the throttle lever works as it should.

I did notice once I took the choke off and put the throttle all the way up...it was a little unstable. In other words the engine would stay high and then drop periodically. I can actually watch that arm that is hooked to the carb move every once in a while? Is that normal?At least it's not stuck.

I'm thinking about draining the gas and starting over..maybe cleaning the carb while I'm at it.

Thanks for all the replies..I appreciate it. What a great site!

Old 11-30-08, 08:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like a good carb cleaning should fix you up.

Search this Thread