Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Generac 15KW generator blown engine

LA

12-02-08, 09:26 PM   #1  
Generac 15KW generator blown engine

I bought a gernerac 15KW right after Hurricane Rita, before I could get home the electricity was back on, so I ran the generator to empty the tank, pickled it and stored it, I kept just enough fuel in it to start it and run it 15-20 minutes once a month.

Hurricane Ike came around 3 yrs later, I went to use the generator and it was very hard to start, smoked, and made a horrible noise, I bent down to see where the noise was coming from when all of a sudden I heard a very hard knock then a big bang, The starter and the cyliniod came flying off the engine and oil flew everywhere and it stopped running, upon inspecting where the starter flew off there is a HUGE hole in the side of the engine and I can actually touch the rod with my finger.

I called Generac and told them all of this and all I got was it was out of warranty and take it to an approved repair shop and let them take it apart and MY COST to see if it was a factory defect, do you know how much they charge just to inspect these things, 350.00! If it is not a defect, I have to pay that, the cost of parts and labor to repair it.

I LOVE my generator and paid a lot of money for it, I would much much rather push a button then yank on a rope over and over to start my generator.

Since it is obvious it will need another engine, starter and cyliniod, does anyone know of where I can order one?

I know this is going to be costly as some of the V Twin engines I have seen are over 900.00.

This is what I am looking for:
OHVI V Twin
Model: OE8112
Engine serial 4255295
Item # 0049870
992.00 CC 32 HP
Hertz 60
Engine RPM 3600
Phase 1
Watts 15000
Volts 120/240
Amps 125/62.5

Sponsored Links

TX

12-03-08, 05:59 AM   #2  
You might want to call a few other dealers and see if you can find one that is more reasonable in cost to examine your unit. $350 sounds pretty high to just check it out, and if it's determined to be a factory defect, there should be no inspection fee. As long as the unit was run with the proper amount and type of oil, I would expect it to be some sort of defect.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

12-03-08, 08:27 PM   #3  
I agree...on all counts. If it was full of the right oil, then it was a defect. They should be able to tell just by looking through the hole in the block at the condition of the crank shaft if it was run without oil or not. $350 to look in a hole?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

LA

12-24-08, 11:15 AM   #4  
Posted By: 30yearTech You might want to call a few other dealers and see if you can find one that is more reasonable in cost to examine your unit. $350 sounds pretty high to just check it out, and if it's determined to be a factory defect, there should be no inspection fee. As long as the unit was run with the proper amount and type of oil, I would expect it to be some sort of defect.
I am sorry all, this has been a very hectic xmas, there are not many dealers or authorized people in my area to work on them, and that was the closer of the few, this thing weights about 200 lbs and isn't easy for me to tote around from shop to shop, I do have a utility trailer but still is it hard to handle.
I wonder if I took pictures of it and sent it to Centurion/Generac so they can see for themselves just exactly what I am facing they would be a little more helpful?

You can see right into the engine and it is clean as a whistle and looks brand new.
It did have oil in it when we bought it, the guy at home depot told us we had to add oil so we did the dipstick didn't register any oil when we checked it right out of the box so we added what the book called for and for some reason it started blowing out oil as if there was way too much, so I drained it dry and then added the correct amount and it ran fine for about an hour then I shut it off and we stored it.
I checked the oil and the fuel when we went to use it and everything was fine until it started making that noise and the POW!

12-25-08, 09:05 AM   #5  
Engine

I take it the engine is a Briggs...... You might try taking it to a dealer for the engine manufacturer rather than to the Generator manufacturer. Usually, that is where they will refer you anyway. From your discription, it sounds like the starter hung on the flywheel and the running engine caused it to explode. Just a thought, if it was in an area where the humidity is high and it wasn't run regularly, rust can accumulate on the starter shaft and cause the gear not to disengage. A little water proof grease on the starter shaft once per year will prevent this problem.
Hope this helps. Merry Christmas.

LA

12-26-08, 04:11 PM   #6  
Posted By: bstig60 I take it the engine is a Briggs...... You might try taking it to a dealer for the engine manufacturer rather than to the Generator manufacturer. Usually, that is where they will refer you anyway. From your discription, it sounds like the starter hung on the flywheel and the running engine caused it to explode. Just a thought, if it was in an area where the humidity is high and it wasn't run regularly, rust can accumulate on the starter shaft and cause the gear not to disengage. A little water proof grease on the starter shaft once per year will prevent this problem.
Hope this helps. Merry Christmas.
Thanks I will try that, The starter came off when a rod went through the engine. The starter is what almost hit me in the face when I bent down to see where the noise was coming from, I was half way down when it flew off.

LA

08-04-10, 12:02 PM   #7  
Posted By: gdtobefree I bought a gernerac 15KW right after Hurricane Rita, before I could get home the electricity was back on, so I ran the generator to empty the tank, pickled it and stored it, I kept just enough fuel in it to start it and run it 15-20 minutes once a month.

Hurricane Ike came around 3 yrs later, I went to use the generator and it was very hard to start, smoked, and made a horrible noise, I bent down to see where the noise was coming from when all of a sudden I heard a very hard knock then a big bang, The starter and the cyliniod came flying off the engine and oil flew everywhere and it stopped running, upon inspecting where the starter flew off there is a HUGE hole in the side of the engine and I can actually touch the rod with my finger.

I called Generac and told them all of this and all I got was it was out of warranty and take it to an approved repair shop and let them take it apart and MY COST to see if it was a factory defect, do you know how much they charge just to inspect these things, 350.00! If it is not a defect, I have to pay that, the cost of parts and labor to repair it.

I LOVE my generator and paid a lot of money for it, I would much much rather push a button then yank on a rope over and over to start my generator.

Since it is obvious it will need another engine, starter and cyliniod, does anyone know of where I can order one?

I know this is going to be costly as some of the V Twin engines I have seen are over 900.00.

This is what I am looking for:
OHVI V Twin
Model: OE8112
Engine serial 4255295
Item # 0049870
992.00 CC 32 HP
Hertz 60
Engine RPM 3600
Phase 1
Watts 15000
Volts 120/240
Amps 125/62.5
Til this day I am still looking for this engine.
The quotes I have gotten for parts and labor have been around 2900.00!
Does anyone have any new info to offer, I would greatly appreciate it.

Search this Thread