Snow Blower Struggles

Old 12-03-08, 06:03 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Snow Blower Struggles

I acquired a used Sears 22 inch snow thrower and it is misbehaving. I suspect the carb but would appreciate any suggestions. The engine starts OK, runs roughly but passable, then after 5 minutes starts to race at very high RPM, will backfire and then die. I can usually start up again right away and then it repeats this cycle but with a shorter run time. The exhaust seems hot as the muffler is glowing red.

I have cleaned the carb with a spray cleaner, made sure all the linkages are working replaced the spark plug, but the problem remains.

Any suggestions?

many thanks

Old 12-03-08, 06:37 PM
S
Sounds like you may have a sheared/partially sheared flywheel key and your timing is off a bit. Not as common in snowblowers as lawnmowers but they do shear.

Old 12-04-08, 05:21 AM
I
Please post model numbers

Old 12-04-08, 05:39 AM
D
snow blower struggles

Sounds like carb problems. It probably has a tecumseh carb. Common problem.

Old 12-04-08, 07:23 AM
I
Spray carb cleaners are made for cleaning the grease & grime off the outside of the carb. You need to take the carb apart and soak in a good imersion carb clean. Gunk has it in 1 gallon can. Runs about $20-$25/gallon. Internal ports (or holes) are clogged. You need to soak the mani jet(the bolt on the bottom) as that has very tiny pin holes in it that are easily clogged. Also, check the float. Hold it to your ear & shake it. If you hear a sloshing, replace it as it has gas inside it an no longer floats at the level it should.

Old 12-04-08, 03:45 PM
M
Snow Thrower Struggles Update

Thank you all for your advice. For those who wanted to know the model number etc,

It is a 5 HP engine, with no visible external markings as to a Tecumseh or a B & S. I have the owners manual and it uses the Craftsman number of 43.945001.

The last time I used the snow thrower in the spring of 2008 it hit ice and did strip the brass gear in the auger transmission so it may have caused a problem with the flywheel. I repaired this over the summer and fired it up. It did run roughly but not as it is now. I will check that flywheel tonight.

The carb may also be the problem as this blower sat for a number of years and there may be a varnish inside that is clogging up the works as it never did have a smooth idle.

The current condition of overrevving, backfiring and then dying is definitely new since last spring.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Old 12-04-08, 05:50 PM
M
Well, I took apart the housing and the flywheel and the keyway is intact and aligned. Next I have disassembled the carb, it is a Tecumseh by the way. I will get some immersion type carb cleaner tomoorow and let it soak. Hopefully that will be the resolution. I may ask again for help on proper adjustment of the needles.

Thanks again.

Old 12-04-08, 07:16 PM
I
Intial needle adjustment is 1-1/2 turns out on both. This will get it started and running.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: