Craftsman snowblower won't go.

Old 12-03-08, 06:49 PM
Craftsman snowblower won't go.

I have a 4 year old craftsman 9.5h 29" snowblower that won't go. Today was the first snow deep enough to try it out (about 3" of light snow). I got half of my driveway done and then it wouldn't go. Seemed to work fine until I hit a deeper area that bogged it down. It blows fine but the drive wheels won't move the machine, even if I lift the front off the ground.

It was acting this way last winter too. So over the summer I checked the adjustment for the drive belt and the friction wheel - all was within the manuals specs. It feels like the friction wheel is getting wet or hot and slipping. Could this be and what is s good cure for it?

The machine has barely been used - maybe 4 tanks of fuel have been run through it... The friction wheel and belts look like new. I'd appreciate any help.

Marty

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-08, 05:02 AM
Please post model number. should look like xxx.xxxxxx

Old 12-04-08, 08:48 AM
Sounds like your friction wheel probably has some grease on it? Or something else causing it to slip?

Also on my craftsman you have to fill the bearing under the friction plate with grease every 10 hours or every season! If you're low on grease under the friction wheel, it'll just spin.

To do so you put a small coin between the friction plate and the wheel (to make sure there is a gap). Then you put your grease gun on the zerk just under the friction plate.

Fill it until the coin touches the wheel.

Maybe you're just low on grease!

Old 12-04-08, 07:55 PM
Thanks for posting...

Model 536 811951

This summer when I adjusted the belts, I also used some brake cleaner and cleaned off the friction wheel and the plate. I saw no signs of oil leaking from the engine. I don't remember seeing a grease zerk and I can't find any mention of it in my manual. Might have to tip it up and take another look.

Thanks for the help.

Marty

Old 12-06-08, 09:31 AM
The model number comes up no good. The 536. is right, the rest is invalid. Recheck the model number.

Old 12-06-08, 11:06 AM
Oops, sorry it's 536 881951

Old 12-07-08, 08:39 PM
Anyone have any ideas? I don't know what you do next...

Old 12-07-08, 10:00 PM
Drive system

Originally Posted by Custom73 View Post
Anyone have any ideas? I don't know what you do next...
There are two things that I can think of. There is a spring that keeps tension on the drive belt if it is broken the belt will slip and stop the drive wheel from turning. And there is a bolt that goes through the sprocket on the wheel axle if this is broken no drive.

AJ

Old 12-07-08, 10:00 PM
Go here - Parts & Accessories | Shop & Find Lawn & Garden, Appliance Parts at Sears PartsDirect | SearsPartsDirect.com

Enter the snow blower part number and you can get diagrams of the various assemblies. It may be possible to puzzle out what is not working properly from those diagrams. Good Luck

Steve

Old 12-08-08, 05:07 AM
A couple of things to check.
1) are the drive chains free? not rusted and are they oiled?
2) check the axle bushings. if there is any play, the axles can move back and loose the connection of the friction wheel.
3) make sure the spring is hooked up (and not rusted off)on the plate that moves the drive disc.

Old 12-08-08, 05:35 AM
Here is a breakdown of the spring I was talking about. number 107

Last edited by indypower; 12-08-08 at 05:36 AM. Reason: refernce number
Old 12-08-08, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I'll check over these things and get back to you...

Marty

Old 12-09-08, 07:38 AM
Going to try to post a pic again.
Spring is #107

Old 12-11-08, 06:56 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I rechecked everything. No rust, chains are well lubed. Springs measure within manuals specs. Cable tension is within manuals specs. Found no play in the bearings and seem to turn easily.

So I recleaned the friction plate and the rubber wheel again. Then used some sandpaper to rough up the edge of the rubber wheel.

Got 3" of snow for a test run. Worked much better, but was slipping toward the end of clearing the 3 car driveway. I think I will rough the rubber wheel again and the friction plate with some sandpaper and try it again. If it still slips, I think I'll replace the rubber wheel.

Thanks for your help guys, hopefully this will be the end of my drive problems - just need more snow to try it out again...

Old 12-23-08, 05:43 PM
Update: I sanded the surface of the friction plate and the edge of the rubber wheel. I also cleaned both with brake cleaner. Got 4" snow and it worked great! I'm very pleased... Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it... Beer 4U2

Search this Thread