Dam it!! Broke another muffler bolt

Old 12-04-08, 07:32 AM
Dam it!! Broke another muffler bolt

This time I did it right. I ran the engine for 5 m inutes before trying to lossen the bolts. I slowly moved the bolt 1/4 turn, moved it back, then another 1/4 turn, then back, next 1/4 turn, it snapped. Same on bolt #2. So now I have 2 broken bolts sticking out about 1/4". I heated it red hot with my oxy-accet torch. I tried the wax method. Nothing. I tried the shock method (red hot, cold water). Nothing. Biggest problem is nothing to grab on to with vise grips. Drilling is going to be a pain as now the bolts are tempered if not hardened.
Ideas anyone?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-08, 09:10 AM
What the bolts seated in??

Old 12-04-08, 12:17 PM
Originally Posted by marbobj View Post
What the bolts seated in??
The head of the engine. It's an old Tecumseh L-head.

Old 12-04-08, 03:21 PM
When a bolt is frozen in aluminum you can rap the end of it with a hammer. The aluminum threads will slightly distort and free the bolt. If you have the same thing in cast it takes a lot more of the same to shake it loose and if the lower end of the bolt is seated you may not get it loose in this manner. In aluminum, though, it usually will free it up.

Since you really don't have a lot of bolt to grip an option would be to cut a screwdriver slot in the end or, if you have a welder, weld a nut to it. If you do the latter, let the bolt cool completely before you try to remove it.

A spray on that works pretty well is a freeze shock that is available from most auto parts stores. You spray it on and it shrinks the bolt by either CO2 or something like it, I'm not sure just what it is. Once the bolt shrinks it's obviously easier to take out.

As far as drilling if you have a heat tempered bolt by design, when you heat it red hot and let it cool slowly you will have removed the temper from it. If you have a bolt that is hard by carbon composition heating and cooling it in that manner won't make a lot of difference.

Old 12-04-08, 11:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've had success grinding a new bolt to a wedge shape, then welding it to the broken bolt, and use that to back it out. The heat from the welder also seems to help.

Old 12-05-08, 08:06 AM
Well since this is on a tiller, I just tapped the hole and installed a screw in muffler. Unlike a snowblower (which I am deep in snowblower mode now) it does not have nor need a heater box.