techumsa Carb adjustment

Old 12-06-08, 05:16 PM
techumsa Carb adjustment

I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but I just got my dads 8hp snowblower running, cleaned the carb, new fuel, It will only run at full throttle, and it also revs and then dies, revs and dies. I put the jet adj. screws where they were before I pulled the carb apart. It does have the main and air screws. Also I noticed that it burns the hell out of my eyes while it is running, to rich?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-08, 05:27 PM
Yep. Running to rich. Adjustment screws should be at 1-1/2 turns out on each to start with. Adjust at 1/8 turn incremnets from there.

Old 12-07-08, 08:38 AM
If adjusting has not helped post the model number and any other numbers from your engine. Identifying your exact engine and carburetor would make it easier to assist you.

Old 12-07-08, 02:43 PM
Engine model # HMSK80 155480S
DOM: 4305D

Old 12-08-08, 03:30 PM
Does anyone have a clue??? Why doesn't briggs make a snowblower mtr

Old 12-08-08, 04:36 PM
There is still some problem with your carburetor.

How did you clean it out?

It may require soaking in a bath type cleaner.

Old 12-08-08, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by thunderguzzler View Post
Does anyone have a clue??? Why doesn't briggs make a snowblower mtr
Briggs does & has been making snowblower engines since they started making engines. It's just that Tecumseh made the snowblower manufacturers a better deal and became the "SnowKing" with 85% of the snowblower market. But now that Tecumseh was bought by an invester group a couple years ago, they have decided to stop making engines. This is the last year you will see a Tecumseh engine on a new snowblower. Next year, you are going to see Briggs, Kohler, or Honda on snowblowers. MTD is now making their own engines. Designed here, made in CHina. Tecumseh is trying to sell their "Peerless" transmissions.
Those investers are stupid!! Tecumseh had a new line of engines 95% complete and ready to manufacture until the head honchos killed it. They had orders (from Ariens,Toro, MTD, Snapper, Simplicity) for 220,000 of these engines.
They were 8,10,13 hp, OHV V-Twins. (yea, a Harley snowblower engine..LOL).